• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best practices for selling?

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Ok, I know I'm going to get a lot of shade from this, but I've decided to sell my Bronco. It wasn't a quick decision by any means. Storing it long term just isn't going to work for us.
So, what are the steps for selling a vehicle like this? I've talked to people who prefer consignment though a dealer, the auctions houses, etc etc. I'd like to hear your opinions on what worked best for you.

I'm thinking having a fresh appraisal would be a good idea? The only thing not working properly is the gas gauge, do I need to get this fixed before selling? The hubs doesn't want to put any more $ into it than we have to but I'm thinking having it in it's best condition would obviously be better?

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
You are going to get tons of different opinions on this.
I believe getting it in the best condition will surely help but dont go over board. A gas gauge not working will not drastically affect the value of the bronco. Clean it up, take some good pictures in the daylight. List what you have done to it and what it needs. Also be honest with your price, an appraisal may be a good idea but I feel that the bronco values have come down a little bit recently and you may still get an inflated value from an appraiser. As you know the guys on this sight could probably do it with a bunch of pictures and a good description.

Consignment is nice because it takes the hassle of listing and dealing with buyers out of your hands but you will give good percentage to that seller.

Auctions are kind of the same thing but again you are not getting all that it sold for and if you do a no reserve you may not get nearly what you want for it. Also a lot of auction houses are picky about what they sell and may not want your Bronco.

I have sold 11 broncos over the last 20 years and I sold all of them through this web site or through Craigslist. If you have the time to weed through all the tire kickers I feel this is the best way. Especially this site as you are getting true bronco people not just robots that respond to every add. I have seen a bunch of the broncos I sold get restored or enjoyed way more than I could and that makes selling them a little easier! As for selling it, I get it! I sold off all my Ebs except for one and I have been considering getting rid of that one too. Life changes, priorities change, interests change, financial status can change and storage storage space can too. Its better to have had an early bronco and sold it than to never had an early bronco at all! ;)

Reactions: Ksm
OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Thank you for all of this. Especially "As for selling it, I get it! I sold off all my Ebs except for one and I have been considering getting rid of that one too. Life changes, priorities change, interests change, financial status can change and storage storage space can too. Its better to have had an early bronco and sold it than to never had an early bronco at all!"

When friends and family find out I'm selling it..ugh the shock and questions are going to be relentless.

I'd prefer to sell it myself but what are some red flags from the tire kickers?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Thank you for all of this. Especially "As for selling it, I get it! I sold off all my Ebs except for one and I have been considering getting rid of that one too. Life changes, priorities change, interests change, financial status can change and storage storage space can too. Its better to have had an early bronco and sold it than to never had an early bronco at all!"

When friends and family find out I'm selling it..ugh the shock and questions are going to be relentless.

FB market place and CL is where 99% of your tire kickers will be, and there will be a ton.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Well this site isnt too bad for scams or tire kickers. But craigslist is full of them. Many are obvious robots, dont even bother replying to those. People that only want to talk through email and wont speak on the phone. People that ask questions that can easily be answered by looking at the pictures be wary of. Beware of the "I want to buy it sight on seen because I am out of the country and will send an "associate" to bring the money and pick it up". Use your best judgement. Cash is king for sales dont take personal checks, do a certified check from a well know bank and even call the bank before signed over the title to confirm it is real or do a wire transfer with a confirmation from your bank that is was received and cleared.
I wouldnt even bother with face book market place!

With the prices the broncos are going for it is not as easy as someone throwing down a few $100 bills and signing a few papers anymore.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
A lot of great insight shared already... A thorough cleaning and detail, best foot forward so to speak. Remove all of your personal stuff out of the rig. If it is just a gas tank sending unit that is bad, you could probably replace that yourself. Shoot some nice photos of the Bronco, for the Sale. but also for memories. Load up the Family and go for a drive, have the passenger shoot a video of it.
I agree with previous thoughts about FB market place and Craigslist. A lot of tire kickers and people asking questions that could be seen in the photo's you post. It can be a pain selling things... It can be challenge to sort though those interested parties. From what I remember, your rig is pretty clean, a definitive candidate for Bring a trailer. They will accept you or they won't... Start here on Classic with a Sale post.
I realize we put more money into our Broncos than they are worth, but only you know that amount. It seems that average Broncos with some mods sell in the 50-60K range. Unless it has a Coyote or hotrod motor, aftermarket frame and all that... It's all about finding the right Buyer who wants what you are offering.
Good luck with the Sale. Doug.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I would avoid Market Place and Craigslist to start. Good photos and a decent write up. I doubt the fuel gauge will realistically be an issue. Figure out what you want for it and post it on here in the for sale. This is the premiere Bronco site. I would see how that goes first before going anywhere else, unless you are in a hurry to turn it into cash.

I had my daughters previous suv for sale on marketplace for cheap money, it needed work. Out of the dozens of responses, NO ONE was a serious buyer, only a time suck. I tell my wife they are all bottom feeders. Negative comments, etc. it’s easy being a keyboard warrior. I have no history with Bring a Trailer but that may be a good option as well.

Good luck, it may be an early, but it’s not like you can never get another one, it only takes money.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
I just heard back this week from the guy that bought my 66 last fall. He shared some videos along with what changes he made. I loved it. I sold over CL pretty much with in hours. In my area CL goes well most of the time, FB not so much. I think they are a regional thing. I've had people that have bought horses from me do the same thing with pictures and videos a year or two later. Where you are I would put it on here. I live a long way away from most of the people here and shipping becomes a hurdle for some.

I did make sure everything was working and tided up a few things before putting it up for sale.

I have another I'll be selling maybe this summer and will use CL again. My convertible firebird maybe BAT. Different buyers group.

Sorry you have to sell.
GLWS.

• Love
OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Sorry you have to sell.
GLWS.
Thank you. But honestly I'm not upset in the least. Restoring the Bronco over the last 17 years has been exciting and fun and I've learned so much and met a lot of great people. But my family and I are in a different stage now and we've different priorities (teenagers and college) and want to spend our free time doing something else (paint and travel). I don't want to spend the time and $$$ storing/insuring/maintaining a vehicle we're not using anymore. I'd much rather it go to someone who'll have fun with it! It deserves to be driven, not parked and slowly rotting away. I worked too damn hard on it for that. 🥰

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
I don't want to spend the time and $$$ storing/insuring/maintaining a vehicle we're not using anymore. I'd much rather it go to someone who'll have fun with it! It deserves to be driven, not parked and slowly rotting away. I worked too damn hard on it for that. 🥰
I completely get it. I have waaaaay to many vehicles sitting around and much rather see someone enjoy them. Whole reason I sold the 66 and will be selling others. Watched to many hoarders letting them rot.

Yes, I've had sellers remorse. Seeing this week's videos made me happy to see how much they have done and enjoying it. Really appreciate buyers like that. Helps knowing I did the right thing.

Hopefully you have a quick sell and can have fun with your family.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Thank you. But honestly I'm not upset in the least. Restoring the Bronco over the last 17 years has been exciting and fun and I've learned so much and met a lot of great people. But my family and I are in a different stage now and we've different priorities (teenagers and college) and want to spend our free time doing something else (paint and travel). I don't want to spend the time and $$$ storing/insuring/maintaining a vehicle we're not using anymore. I'd much rather it go to someone who'll have fun with it! It deserves to be driven, not parked and slowly rotting away. I worked too damn hard on it for that. 🥰

You mention college....when I sold my '68 4 or 5 years ago (I can't even remember for sure now) I used the money to pay off my son's college loans I had taken out for him. I had only driven it MAYBE 500 miles in the 9 or so years I owned it. Both of my kids told me not to sell it, but I didn't want to pay interest on the loans - I am sure those rates will be higher today and likely keep going up.

I do miss it and maybe if I had waited another year till the price explosion I could have made another easy $5,000-$10,000 on it. It went from NE Ohio to Alaska!!!! I did converse with the new buyer a few times and he even joined this site. Not sure he is active on here or not as I forget his screen name.

Seller's remorse???? Not really. Will I ever be able to afford another one in similar condition???? NO as I am retired and the current prices are insane.

GOOD LUCK with your decision, Kerri!!!!

Oh, and I sold it on this site - didn't advertise it anywhere else, except I had a 'FOR SALE' sign on the windshield that you could only see when the car cover was off.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
You're son is fortunate to have such a great Dad!

I probably will not buy another Bronco anytime down the line. I'm ready to move onto a new project. My youngest child is really going to miss her brother when he goes off to college and her dream is to restore a little travel trailer. So when he leaves I'll get a cheap one and she and I will mess around with it on the weekends for a few years. We'll have a blast.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Post it here for sale to start. Knowing your involvement and honesty here on the site should garner you some good buyers I would hope.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Don’t sell it. You’ll regret it the rest of your life.
I didn't sell mine, owned 30 years now. I gave it to one of my daughters with the stipulation that she can't sell it either, rather give it to one of my other kids instead or back to me. She is now getting ready to upgrade power disc brakes (front) and power steering. This will be a great update.