• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Dana 44 Ball Joints?

tacobronco

What are people's experiences with various ball joint brands for the Dana 44?

I have been running Moog Problem Solvers for several years. They are great, seem well-built, and are greasable, which I like. They've survived several years of moderate trail work on a heavy Bronco without showing any detectable wear. However, I'm about to install a set of new knuckles (Reid Racing), and I am leery of using the Moog Problem Solvers because one of their features is that the bodies are heavily knurled where they press into the knuckle. That's great for a used, 50-year old knuckle with wallered-out holes, but probably not ideal for a brand-new knuckle. (I am concerned it may overly distort/damage the new knuckles.)

I know everyone raves about genuine Dana Spicer ball joints, but when I assembled the current set-up, I ordered a set of those first and was unimpressed with the quality. Honestly, they looked like off-shore knock-offs. Moreover, they were not greasable. I ended up returning them and installing the Moogs instead.

Yukon sells their own brand of Dana 44 ball joints (P/N YSPBJ-011), which aren't cheap, but I can't tell if they are anything special, or if they are just parts-store components re-branded as Yukon. Anyone have experience with these?

Dynatrac has what appears to be truly heavier-duty ball joints for many applications, but they have no listings for classic Dana 44 applications.

Any other thoughts?

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I’ve used mevotech with good luck. I have them on my bronco and F250. They’ve been on my truck for 70k with no issues. I only have 6k on my bronco with them, no issues.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Napa Premiums are re-branded Moogs. Good stuff

Actually they're the infamous 'blue boot' joints, which used to be a Raybestos product and now come in an AC-Delco box.

Top tip - you can buy the Napa Premiums a lot cheaper on Rockauto.

My favorite ball joints for Broncos.

Todd Z.

McLeod

A couple years ago, the Spicers on Rock Auto had blue boots too.

That's what I have used and they have held up well

ransil

Bronco Guru
I used cheap Advance auto ball joints once, they lasted less than a year.