• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 Ball Joints Whats the best out there?

ORVP

Loc.
Beaverton, Oregon
Ok, I am getting ready to change out my ball joints with my new knuckles.
Whose bal joints are best and why? Cost Value ect. Hepl me out I have been using napa joints with good luck so far but figured I might ask well ask what everyone else is using?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
2 schools of thought here. First is to spend the money and get the best. Spicer joints are about $50 each I think. Second is to plan to change them often and go cheap. With the shallow offset I'm running I went with the latter and plan to change them yearly for about $50 from Baxter's. (For all 4 of them) I have a lot of tire and wheel outside of the wheel centerline though which is pretty much guaranteed to wear out balljoints fast even if I spend gobs of money on them. One consolation is that I will never let mine go for more than 6 months without tearing the front apart to repack the bearings so changing the ball joints yearly isn't that big of a deal.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) I would go with moog they been doing it a long time good parts good luck. %) %) %) Bill %) :cool: :p

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
The Spicer's aren't all that expensive. I think I bought a whole set for less than a Benjamin...

Spicer or Moog are the only two that I'd put any faith in really.

luke b

Loc.
suisun ca
Hey.. I just put the napa ones in my 44.. Did your ball joints seem pretty tight??
the book says there should be no more than 26 pounds off pull force to move it.
do you guys actually measure that or not???

OP
OP
ORVP

ORVP

Loc.
Beaverton, Oregon
Yes you should check that.

Too tight is not allways the best way. If you have the drum style knuckles use the brake mount bolt with your torque wrench and set to 26 pounds tighten the ball joint spanner nut until you reach 26 lbs. Other method not as accurate drop the tie rod and put a bolt through hole repeat method above. At least thats how I do it in the comfort of the garage who knows maybe I am wrong. :)