• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best HD rear leaf springs

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Guys, I am going back to a hardtop which add weight, I also have a full size spare with a 35" tire on an aftermarket tube bumper. To top it off I am looking at towing a small teardrop trailer this year.

Currently the rear springs are the BC 9 leaf for 2.5" of lift and I like them, but they aren't going to carry all the weight. So anyone have real world experience with the best rear leafs that will carry the weight and allow for decent off road articulation? Yeah, I'm asking for alot here...

If you are carrying the weight that I am or will please jump in. I don't want a whole lot of Duffs is best or BC is best, no fan boys please..

TIA

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would suggest looking into an air bag overload option, as that would allow you to improve your stability and handling while loaded for bear, but then allow you to air down for times when you're not, otherwise the springs are going to ride high and punish your kidneys like an empty leaf sprung dump truck. The relatively narrow width of an EB could make it a bit more challenging, but I've had friends with 1/2-ton trucks do similar mods which allowed them to confidently tow things that I wouldn't have pulled without a 3/4 or 1-ton truck.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Not a bad idea, I don't believe I have seen an EB air bags.

I am not looking at a tremendous amount of weight overall but even now its starting to squat with the leaves I have on there now so I will have to do something.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've seen couple and uncoupled bag setups...I would think an uncoupled bag would be ideal, as it wouldn't impact articulation, but if you're not running crazy flex, maybe either would work well. My friend started out with a manual inflation setup on his Dodge 1/2-ton truck pulling an 8000# travel trailer, which worked quite well paired with a load distribution hitch, and then converted it over to an electronic controller for convenience. An added side benefit is that he doesn't get flashed constantly by other drivers at night due to his low-beams being too high with the back end being squatted down like it was prior to adding the bags.

A possibly cheaper option would be an overload air shock...rocking it old school.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I believe JBG and Duff have their leaf packs in a regular and HD version.
Duff talks about the addition of a heavy rear bumper and spare as reasons to consider their HD leaf packs.

Signed,
Duff Fan Boy

Vincen

I purchased my rear leafs in a kit from JBG. I do not recall seeing an HD option. Despite running the Deaver Superflex coils too, I had to run a 1” block to level the rears. With stock bumper and 13 gallon tank.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I believe JBG and Duff have their leaf packs in a regular and HD version.
Duff talks about the addition of a heavy rear bumper and spare as reasons to consider their HD leaf packs.

Signed,
Duff Fan Boy

I just took the time to look today and I like what Duffs wording on their HD springs. I think I will look at going to way or maybe a simple 1" wedge to see how that works at first?

signed,
maybe a soon to be Duff fan boy:-*

TheLimeRanger

ii have the duff HD springs on my 2.5" lift. they ride very nice. i run a full hardtop and spare tire

TheLimeRanger

Leaf springs

Anytime! Here’s a pic of how it sits 2.5” lift

Attachments

• 9822FD4F-955A-4798-BAED-82F6E24C6198.jpg
    9822FD4F-955A-4798-BAED-82F6E24C6198.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 29

Vincen

Ranger,

Do you have a leveling block on the rear or just 2.5 inch HD springs? I am ready to pull the trigger on a set of Duff's HD 2.5 leafs.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
answr #1
"...I don't believe I have seen an EB air bags..."
OEM bronk (at least the '66 I saw 'em on).
Blk firestones in side the frnt shocks.
Now they have 'em in red for the back too~