• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who makes the best 3 1/2" rear leaf spring?

BroncKelly

Loc.
Madison, Ga
I've got national leafs in the rear of my bronco, but over the last 2 years, they've seemed to settle down and sag around a inch. They are supposed to be 3" springs. The bronco currently has just a stock rear bumper, but i'm going to buy a bumper/tire carrier soon. The extra weight of the carrier/tire is only going to make it worse, and i'm also planning on getting a tuffy trunk too. I'm going to go with a new set of rear leafs, but i'm wondering which ones and what size to go with. I'd MUCH rather have the back of the bronco sitting a little higher than the front doing so. How can i measure the exact amount of lift on the front? Measure from the bottom of the d44 chunk to the ground?....Then subtract 7", right?......maybe not, that's why i'm asking. My bronco will stay mostly on road, with trail riding once in a while. What do ya think is my best option?

Thx,

BroncKelly

OP
OP
BroncKelly

BroncKelly

Loc.
Madison, Ga
Here's a couple of pics:

By the way, those are 33 x 12.5 x 15 bfg at on 15 x 10 wheels. I'd like to get either 16" or 17" wheels and either 295/75/16 or MTR 305/70/17......or 315/75/16 or 35 x 12.5 x 17.

Did you get all of that?...;D

BroncKelly

Attachments

• DSCN0790.JPG
    DSCN0790.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN0797.JPG
    DSCN0797.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN0225.JPG
    DSCN0225.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 48

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
This is highly subjective and you will probably hear every vendor listed here suggested. Personally I like the Cage leafs. As far as figuring the suspension lift measure between the front axle housing and the frame. Then subtract 7" from that.

OP
OP
BroncKelly

BroncKelly

Loc.
Madison, Ga
Thanks Saddleup. Where is the best place to buy cage springs, and why are they your favorite? The one thing i don't want to happen is for the spring to settle and sag.....I'd rather have a bumpier ride with a spring that stays put than a soft ride and a sagging rear.

BroncKelly

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I run bc springs and like em. I was gonna try cage til I heard the s word about em on here. The they went to distributors so I ordered another set of bc's for the wifes.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
BroncKelly said:
Thanks Saddleup. Where is the best place to buy cage springs, and why are they your favorite? The one thing i don't want to happen is for the spring to settle and sag.....I'd rather have a bumpier ride with a spring that stays put than a soft ride and a sagging rear.

BroncKelly
The Cage springs have a lifetime warranty if that helps. I like them because they ride really well both on and off road. I'm not really sure where the best place is now to buy them though. You might check the Cage web site for a list of dealers.

Louie

Bronco Guru
I like my 3.5" Cage leaf springs but they seem to be closer to a 4" lift even with a hardtop, Duff plate bumper and 33" spare back there. The springs have been on for 5 months and about 1200 miles so far...I thought it might settle down a little but not yet. I have 10" between the axle housing and the frame. I don't mind it and it sounds like it could be what you're looking for.

Here's a pic showing the front rake...also on Cage 3.5" springs.

Attachments

• green 1.JPG
    green 1.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I'm very happy with my Cage 3.5 springs as well. They flex well off road and do great on the street.

Attachments

• IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 47

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
When you go to order your springs make sure they are not the ones made in Mexico they do not last very long they have a nice ride at first but sag within a year. Sometimes stuff has a great warranty but who wants to change them when they go bad (like a starter from autozone 5 times in one year)

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I have Nationals also. No issue at all with them. I would recommend calling Cage (or examining their specs) versus BCs or others. Depends really on what you want to do with your rig. I had some awesome Alcan springs but decided I wanted something softer for my daily driver. I would go with BC or Duff's in a heartbeat for a daily driven rig.

OP
OP
BroncKelly

BroncKelly

Loc.
Madison, Ga
I like my 3.5" Cage leaf springs but they seem to be closer to a 4" lift even with a hardtop, Duff plate bumper and 33" spare back there. The springs have been on for 5 months and about 1200 miles so far...I thought it might settle down a little but not yet. I have 10" between the axle housing and the frame. I don't mind it and it sounds like it could be what you're looking for.

Here's a pic showing the front rake...also on Cage 3.5" springs.

Louie,

Great looking Bronco. I do like the way your's looks, and i'd much rather get springs which are a little higher than lower in height. Your setup is right on the $ for me.

Thanks to everyone.

BroncKelly

OP
OP
BroncKelly

BroncKelly

Loc.
Madison, Ga
I'm very happy with my Cage 3.5 springs as well. They flex well off road and do great on the street.

astark,

Are those 35's with a 3 1/2" spring? No body lift? Looks great.

BroncKelly

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Thanks for the compliment, we're very happy with it.

It just has 33's, no body lift, and the 3.5 cage lift.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
Bronckelly, I had the same happen to my 3.5 nationals, recently I replace them do to breaking a main leaf and went with Deaver 4.5 springs from american bronco and have been very happy with there flex and ride. Plus my bronco now because of a lack of better term a new found balance off road.
Marty