• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best heat insulation material for hard top

widowmaker77

Contributor
Hey guys. Im about to start reworking a full hard top . Ive looked at several threads and several different products like dynamat, fatmat and one called siless liner. Im looking for the one that will provide the best insulation against heat ( mainly for my wife). Sound deadning is a definite plus also but im more interested in the insulation aspect. So what have you guys used thats provided the best real world results? I do plan to cover whatever i go with with a new headliner that i will build. Thanks for any feedback!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
isocyanate boards.

dealing with insulation stuff building up a van. Add in a couple decades in the OEM side of the auto industry.
The thermal insulation is different than the acoustic insulation, but there is overlap. The dense closed cell foam is best for thermal. Mediocre for sound. Even sounds falls into different categories. Mass type materials (dynamat) is good when the material itself is generating the sound. The classic trade show demo is a pair of cymbals where they are both hit with a drumstick. One will ring and the other will thud. But they don't do much for reflected sounds. Reflected sounds are like an echo where the sounds just reflects off of something solid. For that a looser fiber does better. Think of a room that has hard floors and one that has carpet. The fibers of the carpet absorb the sound. Thinsulate works good for that.

The mix if stuff I used is truely a mix. The thickest asphalt (dynamat style) sheets and applied small pieces to the larger panels that ring. Don't have to cover 100%. Have even heard that over-covering is worse. Selective panels that ring like a cymbal got a half sheet of paper size applied. Rock wool went in were I had access and depth. Thinner areas (and the roof) got thinsulate. Floor was a buildup of isocyanate that is only half inch thick and is really impressive for how thin it is. But only comes in flat sheets, so hard to work with in a curved space. The floor was one of the last places to get worked on. Now that I have worked with it, and lived with it, I would liked to have more iso board for thermal insulation.

With that said, the biggest issue is the glass. Sun just shoots right through and heats stuff up. And cold passes right through as well. When parked I use insulated, reflective window covers. They make a huge difference over the windows. There isn't much you can do about using single pane glass. Reflective tints help, but don't do what simple insulation can do. With the glass to volume ratio a Bronco has, it is going to be a fight.

Going really extreme. As in there are so many other issues you will never see the benefits of it. They do make acoustic glass now. It is used in autos. It is a variant of laminated safety glass. The inner layer is different and has acoustic absorbing properties. But you would need to so much other stuff quited up before you would see a benifit to this stuff. It would need to be custom made, but with flat glass that isn't that big of a deal. Finding it would be the harder part. You would need to be looking at specialty glass shops to even find it.

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
isocyanate boards.

dealing with insulation stuff building up a van. Add in a couple decades in the OEM side of the auto industry.
The thermal insulation is different than the acoustic insulation, but there is overlap. The dense closed cell foam is best for thermal. Mediocre for sound. Even sounds falls into different categories. Mass type materials (dynamat) is good when the material itself is generating the sound. The classic trade show demo is a pair of cymbals where they are both hit with a drumstick. One will ring and the other will thud. But they don't do much for reflected sounds. Reflected sounds are like an echo where the sounds just reflects off of something solid. For that a looser fiber does better. Think of a room that has hard floors and one that has carpet. The fibers of the carpet absorb the sound. Thinsulate works good for that.

The mix if stuff I used is truely a mix. The thickest asphalt (dynamat style) sheets and applied small pieces to the larger panels that ring. Don't have to cover 100%. Have even heard that over-covering is worse. Selective panels that ring like a cymbal got a half sheet of paper size applied. Rock wool went in were I had access and depth. Thinner areas (and the roof) got thinsulate. Floor was a buildup of isocyanate that is only half inch thick and is really impressive for how thin it is. But only comes in flat sheets, so hard to work with in a curved space. The floor was one of the last places to get worked on. Now that I have worked with it, and lived with it, I would liked to have more iso board for thermal insulation.

With that said, the biggest issue is the glass. Sun just shoots right through and heats stuff up. And cold passes right through as well. When parked I use insulated, reflective window covers. They make a huge difference over the windows. There isn't much you can do about using single pane glass. Reflective tints help, but don't do what simple insulation can do. With the glass to volume ratio a Bronco has, it is going to be a fight.

Going really extreme. As in there are so many other issues you will never see the benefits of it. They do make acoustic glass now. It is used in autos. It is a variant of laminated safety glass. The inner layer is different and has acoustic absorbing properties. But you would need to so much other stuff quited up before you would see a benifit to this stuff. It would need to be custom made, but with flat glass that isn't that big of a deal. Finding it would be the harder part. You would need to be looking at specialty glass shops to even find it.

Thanks for the info! Something like this looks like it would be a good choice for the roof skin. Thoughts on this product? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095P85BB7/?tag=classicbroncos-20

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That stuff isn't going to do much. It isn't the mass of the butyl sheets to help with the ringing. It is also not much of a thermal insulation either. Barely usable for reduction in reflected sounds.

If that is the style of product you want to use, I would add some thickness. (10 second search) something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C1BRR4PJ/?tag=classicbroncos-20 would be more of what I would leant towards.

Vincen

I used 80 mil foil backed butyl mat for vibration and 150 mil closed-cell foam sheets for heat and additional sound suppression. This was topped with a headliner covered in Landau foam and marine vinyl. I am very happy with it but plan to make some panels for both quarter windows to improve even more.

Vincen

How is it that no one produces a nice quarter panel window upholstery set/kit to cover some dynamat on those sides of the top or even a set pf panels with adhesive that look nice and deaden sound?
I've wondered the same thing and had only seen them in fiberglass. I believe Englewood Cowboy's Duck Tuff build has them. I made my door panels, quarter trim panels and headliner. I have plenty of sound deadener and fabric and plan to make a matching set of quarter window panels over the winter here in Ohio. We'll see how it goes.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Dynamat and similar seem to be better for sound than insulation and adds weight to make the thin top flex down. That said I have used it and works pretty well. I have used something like this and seems to work better. It comes in different sizes so figure out what you need. It is also pretty sticky which is important. Stuff without good adhesive can come loose. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I4F0J76/?tag=classicbroncos-20

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
Dynamat and similar seem to be better for sound than insulation and adds weight to make the thin top flex down. That said I have used it and works pretty well. I have used something like this and seems to work better. It comes in different sizes so figure out what you need. It is also pretty sticky which is important. Stuff without good adhesive can come loose. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I4F0J76/?tag=classicbroncos-20
Thanks for link! I’ll definitely check it out.

omureebe

Id be curious to know if 1/4" of insulation makes a HUGE difference or if you need some critical mass. I'm of the thought that a little goes a long way vs an uninsulated top. I'll see this winter as I just insulated my top with 1/4" stick on stuff.

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
A great subject and would like to see pictures after you apply the materials, once I find my halfcab top I want to do the entire cab but I’m not much on making it look good so if I could see how you guys are applying it would really help, complete mat on the floor, stock door panels, then after applying gun racks, applying to to halfcab.
Great subject!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Id be curious to know if 1/4" of insulation makes a HUGE difference or if you need some critical mass. I'm of the thought that a little goes a long way vs an uninsulated top. I'll see this winter as I just insulated my top with 1/4" stick on stuff.
Just a headliner board makes a huge difference on a hard top. Friend has a mustang that didn't have a headliner in it. Brutal year round. Heat goes right through sheetmetal (either way). Put in a used headliner. World of difference. That was all thermal, didn't do squat for sound.

Back in high school I got a little used house carpet. I did the inside of the Bronco (70's van style). That was huge improvements in both sound thermal. But being far from sealed in the winter the moisture got in. Few weeks later that smelly mess was ripped out and thrown away.

Over bare sheetmetal, a little thin insulation can go a long way at making things more comfortable.