• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best paint options for axles?

1buckeyefan1

Hey all.. in my frame off. have frame done (powdercoated semi-gloss black) and axles blasted and rebuilt. My PC guy sorta talked me out of coating the axles and I wasn't ready to tear them down, clean them and watch the pc get messed up if I didn't get them fully clean.

So before I start re-assembling, i'd like to get them semi-gloss black looking to match the frame. Per recommendations of the forum, i went with SPI black epoxy primer. I called them today and they said most just leave it as epoxy primed. I sorta like this in terms of durability and low-sheen, but I'm afraid it will get chalky, fade, etc over time.

My rig will be a restomod, mall crawler type.. no major wheeling (in ohio). I'd like to keep it looking clean though.

From experience, should I top-coat over the SPI primer? I have a few options already sitting in my shop:

1.) KBS 'Blacktop' chassis paint (on hand). unopened can leftover from my failed attempt at using the KBS frame kit.

2.) Chassis Saver Satin (on hand) - was originally going this route for the under carriage, but powdercoated the frame instead

3.) Clearcoat? SPI originally suggested this, but I don't want a high-shine, nor do I want to see scratches, chips, etc. The ended up talking me out of it.

4.) VHT chassis & roll bar (rattle can). I think I read that their gloss black is more semi and might match the semi-gloss powder? Pro: would be easy to touchup

5.) Krylon tractor & implement? My local napa carries this and would also be easy to touchup

6.) simply leave it as-is and roll with the SPI epoxy black.

7.) eastwood markets a 2k 'extreme chassis black'. Any experience on durability?

8.) other recommendation?

finally.. i really hate paint, but learning. I have a 3M PPS gun and getting better at it.

Attachments

• powdercoated frame.jpg
    powdercoated frame.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 82
  • dana44 blasted.jpg
    dana44 blasted.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

SP73

I just left my axles in epoxy primer. The front end is going on 4 yrs with no scratches or chalkiness whatsoever. Rear end is brand new, so I can’t really comment on that. I just used the cheap PPG Omni epoxy too, so I’d bet that quality SPI stuff would hold up just fine. Another option is to add some flattening agent to the clearcoat.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
This one is not on your list but I like Duplicolor DE1634 Low Gloss Ceramic enamel on axles, engine brackets etc. I like the sheen. It’s not flat, but not as glossy as semi-gloss. It gives you some contrast and helps hide dents and nasty welds...

I was researching paint last night, after spending the day hunting down paint for a skid plate. Apparently the Rustoleum Low Gloss Black implement paint that Tractor Supply sells, and Home Depot, is the same Valspar made paint as John Deere Blitz Black which is popular for axles, and suspension parts due to its durability and high solid content. Tractor supply has the gallons on sale and also has spray cans.... I may pick up some this afternoon.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

This one is not on your list but I like Duplicolor DE1634 Low Gloss Ceramic enamel on axles, engine brackets etc. I like the sheen. It’s not flat, but not as glossy as semi-gloss. It gives you some contrast and helps hide dents and nasty welds...

I was researching paint last night, after spending the day hunting down paint for a skid plate. Apparently the Rustoleum Low Gloss Black implement paint that Tractor Supply sells, and Home Depot, is the same Valspar made paint as John Deere Blitz Black which is popular for axles, and suspension parts due to its durability and high solid content. Tractor supply has the gallons on sale and also has spray cans.... I may pick up some this afternoon.

Thanks for both options (and increasing my analysis paralysis).. Can you get a reducer and hardener for the Rustoleum Low Gloss Black? That's what attracted me to the Krylon version:

Krylon 1965 Low Gloss Black:
https://www.krylon.com/products/farm-implement-paint-gallon/

Reducer:
https://www.krylon.com/products/farm-implement-reducer/

Hardener:
https://www.krylon.com/products/farm-implement-catalyst-hardener/

My general thought is to spray the SPI epoxy on, let it cure for a day, then reconsider topcoting with Krylon or Rustoleum Farm & Implement?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Thanks for both options (and increasing my analysis paralysis).. Can you get a reducer and hardener for the Rustoleum Low Gloss Black? That's what attracted me to the Krylon version:

Krylon 1965 Low Gloss Black:
https://www.krylon.com/products/farm-implement-paint-gallon/

Reducer:
https://www.krylon.com/products/farm-implement-reducer/

Hardener:
https://www.krylon.com/products/farm-implement-catalyst-hardener/

My general thought is to spray the SPI epoxy on, let it cure for a day, then reconsider topcoting with Krylon or Rustoleum Farm & Implement?

Yes you can get a hardener. For thinning they recommend acetone. I just ran over to Tractor Supply. They were out of quarts but had gallons for $33.00 on sale. I would never use that much so I got a spray can just for a color test...

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Steel-it paint

Thanks, another new entry! Although since i've been introduced to 2k paints, I'm really hesitant to use anything in a rattle can that I need to be super durable (why i also ruled out option #4 - VHT) Did you use the quart/gallon system or rattle can?

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
Thanks, another new entry! Although since i've been introduced to 2k paints, I'm really hesitant to use anything in a rattle can that I need to be super durable (why i also ruled out option #4 - VHT) Did you use the quart/gallon system or rattle can?

I have used both, I still like the cans better. The gallon lay down funky, might have been me I have tried a few times. As long as its prepped correctly this stuff is durable. There are guys coating Trophy truck frames and rear end in it. Nice thing if you scrap through AKA rock on Axle touch up is supper easy and it blends right in. And you can weld through if you need to.

The silver is a sweet color NickTrix should me c4 case that he put through a hot bath with out effecting the coating.

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
I have used both, I still like the cans better. The gallon lay down funky, might have been me I have tried a few times. As long as its prepped correctly this stuff is durable. There are guys coating Trophy truck frames and rear end in it. Nice thing if you scrap through AKA rock on Axle touch up is supper easy and it blends right in. And you can weld through if you need to.

The silver is a sweet color NickTrix should me c4 case that he put through a hot bath with out effecting the coating.

f062fb31b12ea18901b1d407f4257290.jpg

ee2ea6e9173aced052ad5308fdc9cd25.jpg

The cage was shoot with a paint gun,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Eastwood chassis black. Available in spray cans or quarts and gallons.

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Thanks, that was option #7. Did you use the 2k version or the 'regular'? I had this in my cart, until I started reading the negative reviews of it chipping & scratching.

I was all-in on Eastwood epoxy primer & 2k chassis black until folks wisely steered me over to SPI. Now i'm stuck on the topcoat :)

chuckyb

Contributor
I sprayed axles with POR-15 chassis black and happy with the results.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA

There are 3 versions now of chassis black, I like the middle one. They have also come out with a primer that goes under the chassis black. I used it on my current project. Very durable paint overall. Satin or low gloss.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Thanks for both options (and increasing my analysis paralysis).. Can you get a reducer and hardener for the Rustoleum Low Gloss Black?

Here’s a quick update on my paint test. The Rustoleum Low Gloss is a little too glossy for me. After a night of drying on some un-prepped metal, the Rustoleum is on the left, Duplicolor DE1634 on the right....
ae177a99ab1860d788c4e3d122f6eef4.jpg

ca22360b79aea65e0d11d7f6b7e392de.jpg

OP
OP
1buckeyefan1

1buckeyefan1

Here’s a quick update on my paint test. The Rustoleum Low Gloss is a little too glossy for me. After a night of drying on some un-prepped metal, the Rustoleum is on the left, Duplicolor DE1634 on the right....
ae177a99ab1860d788c4e3d122f6eef4.jpg

ca22360b79aea65e0d11d7f6b7e392de.jpg

Thanks for the side by side comparison pics! The Rustoleum actually looks pretty close to the gloss level on my frame. I wasn't originally going with a semi-gloss, but my PC guy convinced me it was more durable than the satin he uses.. and I was getting my bumpers and cage coated at the same time, so I went with it for the frame as well.

I still have a little anxiety using a non-2k paint over top an epoxy.. but keeping it in my back pocket if I don't like how the epoxy alone looks.

I did also do some research on steel-it. Looks like a pretty nice paint, but not alot of feedback using it over epoxy? Seems like most of the guys on the trophy truck forums recommend using right over sandblast and skipping epoxy primer? But the ease of touch-up seems to be the best advantage it offers.