• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best previous owner Mod/idea/skill-less-ness

in2broncoz

Bought a 70 project rig... noticed a lot of sketchy mods done... first of all.... roll on rhino line.... everything.... inside...dash, doors, floor, sides...etc....
BUT..found the best one today...( I hope )
Power steering... the PO installed a power steering setup... (cant make this $hit up.....) they installed a inside the frame box on the outside of the frame....(yes your reading this right) it was shimmed with....wait for it .............................42 washers.......;D

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Best PO mod was he didn’t touch it.
It was a different time and the Broncos were trucks. Used and fixed with what ever was laying around haa

Geniusloerts

A PO on my 71 moved the rear axle back 1” for clearance. The main spring was cut and slid along the pack and held together with u bolts as clamps.
1fcc3f9820adbdf05bc8944955ec189d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's hard to find a complete Bronco that has not been touched.

The Previous Owner Options (POO) or modifications are usually the main concerns and addressed first upon inspection. As noted, some "Modifications" can be quite dangerous.

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
It's hard to find a complete Bronco that has not been touched.

The Previous Owner Options (POO) or modifications are usually the main concerns and addressed first upon inspection. As noted, some "Modifications" can be quite dangerous.

I like that acronym! Plenty of POO on my rig when I acquired it. I'm surprised I didn't have any electrical fires - some real interesting wiring connections under the hood and under the dash....

Attachments

• 20180730_183439.jpg
    20180730_183439.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 20200913_155208.jpg
    20200913_155208.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 135

navi

One '69 I owned had a 3" body lift that the PO did himself...yes, with stacks and stacks of rusty washers.
He also left a jagged raised spot under the seat so the first time I reached under there I got a nice tetanus injection.;D

Kbpony

Mine had plenty of POO. Front clip welded together and made to tilt forward like a semi. Rockers replaced with 4” square tubing. Small slider rear window grafted into halfcab. Many small options - ranger bench seat, fiberglass sun visor, radio antenna incorporated into the windshield frame, and roadster panels and soft doors. It was rolling on 35” tires. And, the best for last - suspension lift accomplished by 4” lift blocks in back and fabricated steel spacers under the coils. But, it was a ‘77 and for a college kid’s budget, I was thrilled. Now, I’m almost 10 years into its rebuild, and I’d have to admit I’ve probably performed as many or more mods to make it my own.

chris-nc

Contributor
Bronco Apprentice
Some good ones in this thread.

My favorite find so far on my mine has been the hand cleaner bottle and an entire roll of duct tape to create a defroster duct hose. In hindsight, I wish I had tried to identify what year it was from before I trashed it.

Second favorite was after removing the wiring harness and spending time trying to sort out what was good versus trash, I found a softball sized ball of electrical tape. Inside the tape (way at the core) were 3 wires joined together using ring terminals with a bolt through them. %)

Attachments

• IMG_9251.jpeg
    IMG_9251.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9252.jpeg
    IMG_9252.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9253.jpeg
    IMG_9253.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 63

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I like that acronym! Plenty of POO on my rig when I acquired it. I'm surprised I didn't have any electrical fires - some real interesting wiring connections under the hood and under the dash....
Crimped and heat shrink? Looks 1000% better than the household wire nuts used on mine. I wouldnt bat an eye at those connections, unless you just want it to look tidier. I see the headlight harness upgrade there too!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
Crimped and heat shrink? Looks 1000% better than the household wire nuts used on mine. I wouldnt bat an eye at those connections, unless you just want it to look tidier. I see the headlight harness upgrade there too!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
sharp eye, you're right! It could have been a lot worse, I agree!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Bought a 70 project rig... noticed a lot of sketchy mods done... first of all.... roll on rhino line.... everything.... inside...dash, doors, floor, sides...etc....
BUT..found the best one today...( I hope )
Power steering... the PO installed a power steering setup... (cant make this $hit up.....) they installed a inside the frame box on the outside of the frame....(yes your reading this right) it was shimmed with....wait for it .............................42 washers.......;D

good lord.. lol

RM70

Contributor
Not on my bronco but on my dads 66 mustang I'm modding I found they used license plates to make sure the bondo stuck to the quarter panel that had rusted out.

49637741847_8f11cd88b4_z.jpg

49636943623_366052bf17_z.jpg

Nothing Special

Not on my bronco but on my dads 66 mustang I'm modding I found they used license plates to make sure the bondo stuck to the quarter panel that had rusted out.

We might have had the same PO! Mine has a license plate visible up between the inner and outer driver's side front fenders. I haven't ever taken it apart enough to get a good look at how it's attached or what problem it's covering up (likely rust)