• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best rear locker for street and trail rig??

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a track lock in the rear. Hate it! It runs ok on pavement but get on a washboard gravel road and hold on for dear life. It will swap ends on you in a minute. Same thing on any ice and snow. Go selective! None of the "posi" type options are free so consider the price differenct in going with an ARB.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does an ARB act like a limited slip on the street? Just curious. Thanks

Nope..ARB is either fully locked or simply an open dif otherwise. That is why the street manners are about as good as they get for any locker option out there.

I've evolved over the years to being a 'nothing but ARB, front and back' guy except in a few rare cases where the TRu-TRac LS is enough of a traction aid.

Edit: Devin, stop that. Type slower...

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
But if don't plan on doing rock crawling a limited slip would be best for a truck that will spend 90% of it's time on the street. Correct?

Nope..ARB is either fully locked or simply an open dif otherwise. That is why the street manners are about as good as they get for any locker option out there.

I've evolved over the years to being a 'nothing but ARB, front and back' guy except in a few rare cases where the TRu-TRac LS is enough of a traction aid.

Edit: Devin, stop that. Type slower...

OP
OP
Jfly13

Jfly13

Loc.
Lockwood, Mo.
Thanks for all of the help guys. I see why you say ARB, I don't know if I can talk him into one though. I have a mini spool in the rear with 28 spline and 35's and have been really happy with it. I am a finess driver though and my dad uses a little more of the skinny pedal. I will pass all of this info on to him.

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
Still better off with a ARB, you will have an open diff. on the road. So, on road characteristics will be great with minimal added tire wear. Use to run Detroits, but being a daily driver, you tend to wear the tires out faster in the rear. I use ARB's fr/rr now. ALOT happier with this setup, all of the way around.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But if don't plan on doing rock crawling a limited slip would be best for a truck that will spend 90% of it's time on the street. Correct?

Can't disagree with that. However, the best ones IMHO are the Auburn and Detroit Tru-Trac..both rather pricey in their own right. But then they don't require an air line ..or cable..to operate either.;D

70_Steve

Old Guy
I've run a Detroit Locker on the street for several years. Once you learn how it behaves, it's not a problem.

I have a complete 9" pumpkin for sale. 28 spline Detroit with 3.50 gears. The Detroit probably has 2-3000 miles on it. $375 plus shipping from 85382. PM me if interested.

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
Thanks, I have a detroit (big clunk) now and I will be switching to a limited slip in the future.

Can't disagree with that. However, the best ones IMHO are the Auburn and Detroit Tru-Trac..both rather pricey in their own right. But then they don't require an air line ..or cable..to operate either.;D

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
From my experience, the traction device is more important in the front than the rear. Even a noisy one like a lockrite type is good because you will be unlocking the front on the road anyway.
I just put in a rear positraction unit made by Yukon. I wanted something that would help without the noise on the road. Seems to work real good but I havn't had it in the big rocks yet.
Even with all that, I think my best gain in traction came from my gear ratio change from 3.50 to 4.11. The reason is the mismatch of ratios in these things. Now with 4.09 in the front and 4.11 in the rear, the front is actually pulling instead of the rear pushing when you have 3.54 in the front and 3.50 in the rear.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
ARB is the priciest one, but a good choice if you can afford it.
Powertrax, Lockright, aussie, detroit are all ratcheting lockers, the function is basicly the same. The detroit is probably your best bet for strength as it uses a new carrier designed strictly for it. The others (lunchbox lockers) will function the same but reuse the stock carrier. Since you are gentle and are not breaking 28 spline even with 35" tires you could probably get away with it just fine. start playing with that skinny pedal and you better have 31 spline axles ready to go.

Spool, mini spool and the bottom of the barrel lincoln locker are my bottom choice. Best used for beaters that you don't want to invest in. Spools are a straight line tire spinning choice (mud/sand drags)

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I put a detroit in mine and have driven it quite a bit on the street and it's fine. I only notice it if I'm making a really tight turn and give it some gas. It's only done the detroit 'clang' twice. After I figured out is was OK, I'm OK...

KENNY SUTTON

best locker for the street II

I have a Detriot Tru Trac works great on and off road. Also use in the drag car.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
For a part street/trail car, be careful about going overboard with the traction & suspension stuff. Most guys overestimate the trail use/ street use. The only way you could possibly get 60% trail is to trailer your car! (another guy thing) That's the beauty of an OX-Lock or ARB if it's in your budget! I'll spend my money on tires, brakes, and steering over that.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Detroits front and rear for me. I would go Detroits again for simplicity and convienience, but on the other hand a more street and mild trail truck, the newer design clutch posi's are great too.

OP
OP
Jfly13

Jfly13

Loc.
Lockwood, Mo.
For a part street/trail car, be careful about going overboard with the traction & suspension stuff. Most guys overestimate the trail use/ street use. The only way you could possibly get 60% trail is to trailer your car! (another guy thing) That's the beauty of an OX-Lock or ARB if it's in your budget! I'll spend my money on tires, brakes, and steering over that.

We do trailer on almost all trips. He drives it around town or within about an hour of town. Every time he trys to drive it to an event farther than that I remind him that if he breaks he has no way of getting home.

sbolejack

Loc.
Rogers, AR
I have Detroit Tru-Trac's in the front and rear and haven't had any problem going where I want go. On the 1-5 trail ratings, can run 3's all day with the occasional 4. This was actually suggested to me by Tom @ Tom's Bronco and at the time was what he was running in his rig.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I'd stay away from any of the clutch types. it doesn't take long for them to wear out.
not that you would, but definitely don't weld the spiders together.
I did that on my plow truck, and now it hates pavement. leave rubber every turn you make, and the drivetrain makes all kinds of clunkin racket in slow sharp turns. it does powerslide quite nicely though.;D