• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bilstein 5125 questions

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I'm running Bilstein 185576 shocks on the front with the body on top. 185569 on the rear with body on the bottom. It's been a day or two since I put these on, so I've slept since. I seem to remember making a change to how they were mounted after seeing that they were marked as to how they were supposed to be mounted. But I can't find that marking now to validate my vague memory. Can anyone confirm or correct my mounting? Having slept since, I can't recall for sure, but I want to say I found out these 576's are actually a rear shock and most likely not valved correctly for the front. So I'm wondering if I can get them revalved...???

brewchief

Both appear to be a 255/70 valving, my experience with that in the front with a soft spring (deaver) is that it's too light, I went to the 360/80 valving in the front snd it's pretty decent for an off the shelf shock.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I assume you're talking about the deaver rear leafs. Yes, it does stand up on acceleration. I'm just wondering if I can get a little firmer ride. But perhaps its the slightly bent tie rod giving me a touch of toe-in that makes it so irritable on the road?

brewchief

I assume you're talking about the deaver rear leafs. Yes, it does stand up on acceleration. I'm just wondering if I can get a little firmer ride. But perhaps its the slightly bent tie rod giving me a touch of toe-in that makes it so irritable on the road?
Deavers in front and bronco graveyard deaver copys in rear, the 250/70 was just to light in the front, my shock hoops use same size shock front and rear so I movedvthe 250/70 to the rear and put a set of the 360/80 on the front, for normal use it's pretty good but could still use more damping at times on the dunes. A stiffer front spring or different use and the lighter valving on the front might be ok.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, I've got Duff 2.5" progressive springs in the front. Deaver 4.5" medium duty leafs....I THINK that's what Suzy told me several years ago, based on the numbers on the springs.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The shock orientation is indicated by the factory installed decal. Install the shocks with the decal upright and readable, and that’s the correct orientation.
Weather eye-to-eye, or stem to eye style, some shocks mount different than others. While some will have the body up, some will have the body down.
So just go by the Bilstein decal

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I flipped the rears. Drives SOOOOO much better. I have no idea why they were upside down.