• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bizarre happenings now engine stumbles under load

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
Lately my normally trouble free Bertha is falling to pieces and most of it is weird. Almost ghostly frankly.

I guess this is just all stuff that is occurring as it probably normally would and I got spoil but man between working 14 hours days at work and coming home to fix things I am demoralized right now.

The truck is now stumbling, hesitating, backfiring, lacking power under load, when running at normal operating temps or maybe a bit hot but normal for summer. Carbs are my weak point mechanically.

Carb is a Motorcraft 2150

It seems to be idling fast and then when I take off it hesitates and acts like an angry bronco bucking and spitting But only when at operating temp or a bit over. Uphill I live in the hilly area of SF Penninsula in Belmont, CA) it just barely is getting up roads it used to just cruise up with no problems. What can it be I am assuming carb issue but after the last week could be anything. HELP!!! I'll do anything to make her feel better.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like ignition to me as well.

If it gets bad strictly related to cylinder pressure, ignition.

OP
OP
LilRedBronco

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
Well, I just had to replace the plug wires to fix two that had come out of the loom and melted on the exhaust... New Coil, the other Accel coil I had in there went bad so, replaced with one of the Accel super duper coils that also mix drinks. Its all Pep Boys had in stock so I thought what the heck its pretty.

I also had to replace the battery this week. Its like gremlin city or a conspiracy. ;D

Left and right shock mounts snapped, frustrating week. I checked bolts and nuts monthly, haven't beat on her since we moved from Utah and it is only a 15 miles round trip to work.

Plugs look real good, pulled them last weekend to see how they were and they were text book perfect at 15K miles. Brushed em up, checked gap, back in.

I am gonna pull the distributor cap, points, rotor cap tomorrow after work...

If that is not doing it I'll pull off the accel wires and try another...

Thanks I am frustrated and worn out after rough week, I was fixated on the carb... My brain kept answering the question what else can go wrong with . Its the carb stupid....

Oh and if you guys are wondering what that freaking smoke was blowing through my house just now I totally burned the hot dogs that I was BOILING for dinner :cry:

I am going to bed this week needs to end and its only Sunday.... I'd say it can't be worse than last week but I bet it can ;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh man, wish I'd known on Friday. Three of your semi-loco, er, I mean local, Bronco brothers were up for a trip around the Bay on the SS Jeremiah Obrien yesterday and were looking for something fun and relaxing to do in the evening on the way back to the South Bay.
And we stopped in Burlingame for dinner too! Too bad, we were that close. You could'a had some uninvited dinner guests and garage hangers-around to rummage around under the hood with.
After all, four pairs of eyes are usually worth some laughs and the occasional breakthrough. Oh well, next time.
Good luck.

Paul

hackyrat

Might also replace the power valve on the carb. If you have vacuum brakes you may want to make sure you do not have a vacuum leak in the booster.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I vote points when they wear all kinds of crazy things happen. I'm going to ask about your spark plugs you said "brushed em up" Wire bushing plugs is a no no. The brush will leave scratches and metal from the brush will be in those scratches giving the spark a different route to travel. I'd put in new plugs either wya you look at it these older engines need the plugs changed about every 15K anyways.
Once the ignition is back in shape if its still doing it then I would look at the carb or a vaccum leak somewheres you might have knocked a hose off somewhere.

OP
OP
LilRedBronco

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
I vote points when they wear all kinds of crazy things happen. I'm going to ask about your spark plugs you said "brushed em up" Wire bushing plugs is a no no. The brush will leave scratches and metal from the brush will be in those scratches giving the spark a different route to travel. I'd put in new plugs either wya you look at it these older engines need the plugs changed about every 15K anyways.
Once the ignition is back in shape if its still doing it then I would look at the carb or a vaccum leak somewheres you might have knocked a hose off somewhere.

Sorry should have specified I took a little nylon brush to them like you use for gun cleaning. A big stuff toothbrush kind of thing. They were good to go just dusty so to speak. Yeah definitely don't go after plugs with a wire brush.

OP
OP
LilRedBronco

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
Update it was points condenser Thanks

I just wanted to follow up and thank you guys for the help... As was suggested it was points and condenser.

OK I am going to put new points, rotor and distrib cap on it today. They are all kind of older so not wasting anything by changing them out.

I'll look for vacuum leaks I was thinking that too hadn't gotten around to testing.

Like I said this was a week of failures on the truck so I was demoralized and obsessing with the carb so glad I came here to ask before I started turning screws.

Thanks again folks. I REALLY appreciate the help you have reduced near future gray hairs by at least 36.87 percent

Last edited: