• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Boring a 302 (Is .060 too much)?

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Like previously said, I'd be done with it. Go with a roller block. More cam options, one piece rear seal, and easier to find a low mileage one.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Even a higher mileage late model block is a good choice. The later engines (with EFI kept running right) show very little wear even at 200+k on them.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Prior owner did that on mine. I think he was just trying to get it back on the road with as little money into the motor as possible. He mentioned it did run hotter than normal. Had to redesign the the fan shroud to flow more air as well. I've been driving it off and on for 4 years. Rarely ever drive it in 100 degree weather but it hasnt overheated yet. I have seen 210F on the gauge though

nrramse

I bought a remanufactured 302 from Oreilly's that's bored .060. I've had it many years with no problems.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I have a 1990 5.0 that's never been cracked open , has a burned valve
you could have for free if you were closer

I'm swapping in a 96 351W roller cam engine I got out of a big van

Check around for another block
I wouldn't go more than .040
And ignore all the Craigslist nuts that think their "good engine, just needs a rebuild" is worth $350
A worn out engine is scrap metal , 2 cents a pound . $50 tops

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
That's the story of my life! Too far away or just missed it! I will be on the hunt for something else looks like. I appreciate all the input.
Thanks to all!

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Well. If you gotta buy another one
Might as well get a 351

Look around. A 94-96 15 passenger church van with a dead transmission is usually $500 or so
And they all have bad transmissions sooner or later
It's gotta be a defective design from ford
They croak about every 70K miles

Grab a van for under a grand , where you can hear it run ,
Yank the engine , sell the seats for $300 and take the shell to the crusher for another $250-300

You have $500-600 in a good used 351 roller cam engine

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
the other thing to consider is flat tappet cams are really hard to break in right these days. they took something out of oil, cant remember, but you have to use an additive. my engine builder says a lot of his cam suppliers will not warranty flat tappet cams. roller is easier and way better. you can get roller engines out of u pull it yards really cheap.

Agreed. I won't have another flat tappet engine

I'm looking at replacing the 350 in my sons 76 K-10 because it has some wiped cam lobes

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks roundhouse,
I will keep my eyes open for one of those vans. I wasn't even sure what years I should look for so that narrows it down for me.
Have a good one!

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Picked up my running driving 96 E350 351W equipped van for $800. After parting it out and scraping it, I ended up paying $65 for the engine. The engine had between .008 and .009 thousands of wear. I also kept all the EFI parts as well. Those big vans are Speed Density OBD I (even the 96's are OBD I Mine had the OBD II port but it wasn't active) which you could run with the van ECU but I'm converting it Speed Density for better performance running a 95 Mustang ECU. Got the complete upper intake system off a 96 Explorer for $35 at the junk yard.

The van front dress will fit but you will have to run an electrical fan and move the upper radiator mounts to the outside of the core support or run the Explorer front dress. If you run a GT-40 lower, you will need more than a 1 inch BL for things to clear. The TP sensor on the throttle body hit the hood with a 1 inch BL. I plan on just adding a hood scoop to solve the hood issue. I don't think there is a problem if you run the BC adaptor and truck/van 351W lower.

Tim

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks Tim,
Good info. I am not interested in fuel injection, I would like to keep it carbureted. I am also not a fan of sensors or electric fans. I like older style with very few electronics. I had a 351 in my last Bronco and loved it. It was older 86 I think. I like simple , I know fuel injection is great, but just not for my needs. I would like to take a newer roller style engine but use my original front dress and an aftermarket intake. I am leaning towards a 302 but if a 351 comes along I won't pass it up.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Picked up my running driving 96 E350 351W equipped van for $800. After parting it out and scraping it, I ended up paying $65 for the engine. The engine had between .008 and .009 thousands of wear. I also kept all the EFI parts as well. Those big vans are Speed Density OBD I (even the 96's are OBD I Mine had the OBD II port but it wasn't active) which you could run with the van ECU but I'm converting it Speed Density for better performance running a 95 Mustang ECU. Got the complete upper intake system off a 96 Explorer for $35 at the junk yard.

The van front dress will fit but you will have to run an electrical fan and move the upper radiator mounts to the outside of the core support or run the Explorer front dress. If you run a GT-40 lower, you will need more than a 1 inch BL for things to clear. The TP sensor on the throttle body hit the hood with a 1 inch BL. I plan on just adding a hood scoop to solve the hood issue. I don't think there is a problem if you run the BC adaptor and truck/van 351W lower.

Tim

I got the van for $100
Pulled the engine (a real pain in a van )

Sold the engineless van for $300

So I have the engine and $200
Which I promptly spent on a flywheel, clutch and BC intake adapter

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
You guys have all the luck. I hope something like that comes my way!
Thanks!

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
You guys have all the luck. I hope something like that comes my way!

Thanks!

Just gotta keep an eye out
The 15 passenger vans with a bad transmission are very very hard to sell
No one wants them or needs them except a daycare or another church

The old ford vans get 9 mpg if that
The new sprinters get 22 mpg and unless ford offers a turbo diesel in their new ugly van it's never going to sell many

Most churches rent buses and vans nowdays