• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Boring videos.

Scrapper_MV

For you viewing pleasure.

My friend Joe's corn binder (IH Scout) gets pulled out by my Bronco proving once and for all which is the superior vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAQMtNzYa8

My Bronco climbing a small steep hill with no throttle. It just idles right up. I love my gears!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjrHRWPNoz8

After these videos were shot I proceeded into the rocks where I bent my steering linkage all to hell. :mad:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I assume the scout don't run since he wasn't assisting in the recovery, LOL

OP
OP
S

Scrapper_MV

I assume the scout don't run since he wasn't assisting in the recovery, LOL

It runs good, but he has open diffs. So he got stuck spinning two wheels in the loose cobble stone. I told him I could pull him out easily, so he tried to make it hard by not helping. He even wanted to video it because he thought I wouldn't be able to pull it out. HAHA!:p ;D

BuffDragon

Loc.
CenTex
very nice!
for those of us that dont know (I'm a newbie!) can you put up a few specs on the pony?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Scrapper, nice looking rig. Your buddys scout looks good too, I have always had a fondness for the old scouts. What kind of gearing are you running?

Ben

OP
OP
S

Scrapper_MV

My Bronco has a 351W (carbed) a NP435 trans with 6.68:1 first gear, the Dana20 was re-geard with 4.86:1 low gears, the front is Dana 44 with 4.56:1 gears and a detroit locker, rear is a Dana60 with the same. Tires are 35". So what does that make my final crawl ratio? It's low, and I like it! In first gear, 4W low I cant hold it back with the brakes!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

Scrapper_MV

Scrapper, nice looking rig. Your buddys scout looks good too, I have always had a fondness for the old scouts. What kind of gearing are you running?

Ben

The Scout is actually a great rig with an AMC 360 that makes lots of low end torque. He has about 6" of suspension lift and the front axle was pushed forward about 3 or 4 inches. The rigs down fall is the 3.50:1 gears and open diffs. If he had gears and lockers he could go anywhere I do. But for now I'm happy to pull him out and give him sh!t about it.;D

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
It runs good, but he has open diffs. So he got stuck spinning two wheels in the loose cobble stone. I told him I could pull him out easily, so he tried to make it hard by not helping. He even wanted to video it because he thought I wouldn't be able to pull it out. HAHA!:p ;D

LMAO, if only he knew the power of the "Bronco" Nice man :cool:

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
My Bronco has a 351W (carbed) a NP435 trans with 6:1 first gear, the Dana20 was re-geard with 4.56:1 low gears, the front is Dana 44 with 4.56:1 gears and a detroit locker, rear is a Dana60 with the same. Tires are 35". So what does that make my final crawl ratio? It's low, and I like it! In first gear, 4W low I cant hold it back with the brakes!
How did you regear your dana 20? I've seen the Teralow kit that will take it to 3.15, but I'd like to hear if there are other options out there. I don't want to drop the coin that an Atlas or Stak would run right now.

Thanks

OP
OP
S

Scrapper_MV

How did you regear your dana 20? I've seen the Teralow kit that will take it to 3.15, but I'd like to hear if there are other options out there. I don't want to drop the coin that an Atlas or Stak would run right now.

Thanks

The t-case was re-geared several years ago by the P.O. He used a kit called "JP Rock Eater". The company that made them is no longer in business.

Last edited by a moderator:

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
The t-case was re-geared several years ago by the P.O. He used a kit called "JP Rock Eater". The company that made them is no longer in business.

Those are the Jack Obrien gears. Yes, he is still in business. Try a search using "Obrien gears" You should get several hits, including this one.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120963&highlight=Obrien+gears

These gears are very expensive, however. BCB used to sell them. Last I heard they were in the $1200-1500 range--for just the gears. Thats Stak or Atlas territory. The Tera Lows are fine...seem to be doing well in my rig...

Of course, Scrapper's 146:1 1st gear in low is impressive...but unless you exclusively crawl, there is a very wide gap between high range and low range.

Whereas the TL gears net you a 30% gain in low range gearing...significant...especially if you can score the gears on sale. Also, its advisable to update the rear output shaft with either of these gear upgrades, which raises the cost by an additional ~$375-400 on top of the gears and rebuild kit.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Those are the Jack Obrien gears. Yes, he is still in business. Try a search using "Obrien gears" You should get several hits, including this one.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120963&highlight=Obrien+gears

These gears are very expensive, however. BCB used to sell them. Last I heard they were in the $1200-1500 range--for just the gears. Thats Stak or Atlas territory. The Tera Lows are fine...seem to be doing well in my rig...

Of course, Scrapper's 146:1 1st gear in low is impressive...but unless you exclusively crawl, there is a very wide gap between high range and low range.

Whereas the TL gears net you a 30% gain in low range gearing...significant...especially if you can score the gears on sale. Also, its advisable to update the rear output shaft with either of these gear upgrades, which raises the cost by an additional ~$375-400 on top of the gears and rebuild kit.

Thanks. I've got a doubler in my yellow truck that gets it down to 150 to 1 and I love it (also did the WH heavy duty output shaft at the same time). I was looking for a cheap easy way to get some lower gears in the newest trail truck I am trying to get together. Once I get the NP435 installed, I will be at 85 to 1 craw ratio, so I may just quit there and call it good and put my $$ towads 4 linking the rear suspension.

OP
OP
S

Scrapper_MV

Of course, Scrapper's 146:1 1st gear in low is impressive...but unless you exclusively crawl, there is a very wide gap between high range and low range.kit.

Did I mention that I also have an Advanced Adapters overdrive unit? With only 16 forward gears to select from it's not a problem finding one that works. :)

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Did I mention that I also have an Advanced Adapters overdrive unit? With only 16 forward gears to select from it's not a problem finding one that works. :)

that many gears i am pretty sure i would have a problem%)

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Hey Mike, is your buddies IH an 800 series? my brother used to have a killer 800A... he took it to a guy out by palmdale to have him build it into a decent crawler and the guy stopped returning his calls... anyway i would love to send my bro the info if Joe knows a good IH locally.

i am hoping my bronco inspires him to go get it back!

OP
OP
S

Scrapper_MV

Hey Mike, is your buddies IH an 800 series? my brother used to have a killer 800A... he took it to a guy out by palmdale to have him build it into a decent crawler and the guy stopped returning his calls... anyway i would love to send my bro the info if Joe knows a good IH locally.

i am hoping my bronco inspires him to go get it back!

Yeah it's a 71'. The last year of the 800 I think. He knows a great guy here in so cal that works on his rig. PM me I'll get the number for you.