• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

brake switch wiring

74bucker

Loc.
Newbury Vermont
Had this in the "chat section" and see it probably should have been here:

New guy here , though in my 40 years of legally driving I have run through dozens of Fords and just added my Bronco to the 68 torino and 51 Merc in my garage.

Just got the '74 a couple weeks ago , and am trying to de-cluster the last
owners mickey mouse repairs , which include a half dozen under dash bare wires dangling.
My biggest dilemma at this point is the brake light switch , which is hooked each post by a pink wire ... one of them direct to a flasher. I switched it out for
a new one and replaced the flasher ... no go. I looked in the chiltons book and am not certain of the original leads to and from { I have seen a couple different posts here stating rb & red as the original wires , but noted for a '70 }
All of my lights are working in the rear , so do know the wiring is fine back there . just want to see if the color code wire is the same for the '74 , seeing the post I saw was based on a 1970.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Had this in the "chat section" and see it probably should have been here:

New guy here , though in my 40 years of legally driving I have run through dozens of Fords and just added my Bronco to the 68 torino and 51 Merc in my garage.

Just got the '74 a couple weeks ago , and am trying to de-cluster the last
owners mickey mouse repairs , which include a half dozen under dash bare wires dangling.
My biggest dilemma at this point is the brake light switch , which is hooked each post by a pink wire ... one of them direct to a flasher. I switched it out for
a new one and replaced the flasher ... no go. I looked in the chiltons book and am not certain of the original leads to and from { I have seen a couple different posts here stating rb & red as the original wires , but noted for a '70 }
All of my lights are working in the rear , so do know the wiring is fine back there . just want to see if the color code wire is the same for the '74 , seeing the post I saw was based on a 1970.

Brake light switch (the one on the brake pedal) has 2 red w/black stripe wires. The power side comes from the headlight switch. The other one goes to the turn signal switch. Shouldn't be any flasher in that circuit.

Brake warning light circuit has 2 purple/white wires that may appear pink. Again, no flasher.

OP
OP

74bucker

Loc.
Newbury Vermont
Thanks for all the great info. Guessing I have to see where the original wiring went before someone hijacked it to the flasher instead. I checked this morning and it does lead in one side with red/blk and the other wire is what was hooked to the flasher side.