• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Cursed

rockg

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
I'm starting to believe that my bronco is cursed. It seems that every time I go to make an upgrade or have movement on one of the many projects on it, something out of left field happens to it and it sets me back for months.

Long story short, I bought my bronco from a guy 4yrs ago that I went to school with growing up for a minimal price ($700), knowing that it was a bucket at the time and that it would require a good bit of work. Well, 3 months after purchase, he commits suicide. Very sad story, being a father of 3 kids.

I've wanted to throw the towel in so many times and start with something new, but i have been given so many parts by friends and family that I feel obligated to keep it and also knowing that it probably be a while till I get another bronco.

Just speaking my mind, that's all.
Rockg

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I say be patient and hang in there. You are already in it this far. Finishing the Bronco would be a very nice tribute to your buddy.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I agree with BJ, what a shame to see it slip away and 5 years down the road wishing you hadn't

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

67RT

Bronco Guru
I don't know. How close were you to the guy. I would be bummed of the constant triggering of memories. Not sure what I would do, but there are plenty more projects out there!

OP
OP
R

rockg

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
I wasn't that close to him but my older brother was. Part of the reason I still have it is because of my brother, he also owns a couple of broncos and seems to have an unlimited supply of eb parts in his shop. So alot of the parts that I have used come from him, maybe this is why I'm more attached to it.

It just bugs me out every once in a while. I may just have two broncos eventually I guess, (one beater and another driver)

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I drove my 74 home.....white knuckled it the whole way in the middle of a huge storm. Water pouring in like I didn't have the top on....which was OK cause it was all going right back out through the HUGE holes in the floor.

It sat for 1 year in my garage while I worked on it almost daily to made drivable. 18 years later I'm still fixing thing and upgrading this and that.

Hang in there....Better days ahead.....

Tim

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Good and bad parts of your story. Check your emotions at the door, and it may make more sense to let it go.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Keep on pushin forward brother.. It'll happen. Just concentrate on one issue at a time.

Very sorry to hear of your loss

americanhorses

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, California
Tough story, and to feeling obligated doesn't help I'm sure.

I believe my wife has bad jojo when she get's in any of my cars/trucks. Latest one: Broncos been on the road/trail for a year, wife hadn't ridden in it yet. She get in, as soon as we hit the pavement one of the belts starts to squeal. If finally quit but the brakes got spongy on the way back. I've driven it several time after and nothing is wrong.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Remember that your Bronco is 40+ yrs old and any vehicle that old is going to have all sorts of problems. Detroit never designed or built vehicles to last forever because if they lasted forever people would never buy the new vehicles that are produced year in and year out. It's called built-in obsolescence.

Cohammer

Seems to always be the case. I bought mine was tolld it would be no problem to start right up. Got it off trailor . Would not start - new coil - new plugs - new fuel lines - cleaned gas tank-new fuel pump-rebuilt carburetor -new ready to run ignition - motor running - holes in radiator - new radiator - new brake booster - new brake lines - running again - transmission leaking - brakes locked up - new front disc - new pads - new bearings - as every body knows it never ends till you have all new or rebuilt parts . Don't give up

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Hang in there Brother .. That's why mine is named Snake Bite .. Every thing that could go wrong with mine did go wrong .. I'll swear I re fixed ever thing on mine twice. and some 4 times.
.. Now mine has been finished for 7 years.. But it's setting outside the shop with a busted REAR SPRING . I plan to fix this week end.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I always think it is a jealousy thing... When one part of the Bronco gets new parts the other areas get jealous and want new parts too...

BroncoKelley

Loc.
Billings, Montana
That's just part of the relationship and process. I tell my wife, one step forward and two steps back! Keep your head down and push forward.
Just 2 weeks ago the back float in my brand new carb stuck and resulted in me getting pulled back home with a tow strap. My kids were with me and my son kept saying "Daddy, I told you the Bronco didn't sound right and we shouldn't go for a ride" At the time I was never so mad in my life, but look back now and laugh!

67RT

Bronco Guru
These are the reasons I am not going to mod mine. I don't go off road and have another classic to drive, so it sees relatively little use. But it has been awesome since I got it a few years ago. Stock, no power nothing, driver condition, just cleaned out tank and put on new carb when purchased. And my purchase inspection was done via Facetime. Got super lucky since 3 others I had professionally inspected were garbage...
My maintenance consists of spraying it down with WD40 before and after rain!
Now watch, i will try to start later and it will blow up!