• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco ghost

Nowik35

So I think my bronco is possessed or more realistically I screwed something up. So I just finished wiring everything up and was going through everything making sure it works. It did, and last check was I put on the high beam. So I sat back for a few seconds in joy listening to the radio in my bronco and out of no where. The engine started cranking out of no where. I immediately turned the ignition to off and in still was cranking. I ran and pulled the negative off the battery. So in total I think it was cranking 15-20 second dry....f**k I'm freaking out I hope I did not cause damage to the engine. Plus something must of shorted somewhere and now I have to go find that too. The good news is the engine cranks bc I rebuilt it my self. Ughhhhh today is one of those days that probably set me back.

Torkman66

Contributor
How do you have battery wired to starter? Through the stock relay on the inner fender or do you have a starter relay integrated with new starter?
Also, don’t you have oil in the motor? If not, definitely install filter, oil, and do not forget the oil pressure sender. Not that you are wanting to crank it, but you do not want to crank a dry motor, even accidentally.

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

I have the traditional relay on the fender. And yes I just got some oil and antifreeze and about to put it on so this never happens again on a dry engine

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Initial thoughts are the starter relay (S and I) are wired backwards. Ignition (ballast resistored) on the start post. Something finally gave it enough umph to pull in and energize the starter.

Take the big wire off the starter and wire it into a big light bulb. Now you can play around. When the starter relay accidently kicks in, all you have to deal with a light bulb being on and not the panic of a starter spinning an engine not ready to start.

Torkman66

Contributor
Just disconnect the line right side from relay to starter. Triple check your wiring at relay. Finally, might replace the relay…they are pretty inexpensive.

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

So I started to diagnose this problem and it's strange. So I removed the hot from solenoid to starter so no chance of turning on the engine. Put on the ignition to on. And everything works fine again for about 3 min the radio dies and dome light flickers. When I check the voltage across my battery it reads about 8 volts. Something is drawing it. Once I turn ignition to off battery reads 12 again. Any ideas. I was thinking maybe something to do with capacitor on the voltage regulator? Here is my set up on the fender. Purple wire goes to start position on ignition. Pink wire goes to ballest resistor so it reads 7v when ignition is in on position
https://flic.kr/p/2ppznxP

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
With key ON the coil and the alternator field should be drawing power. Neither should draw power with key in ACCessory position.

Torkman66

Contributor
Sounds like a faulty cell in the battery. It should NEVER read 8 volts no matter what is drawing power. Swap in a battery from a different car and see if it still happens.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like a bad battery. When you read 8V is that directly across the battery posts, not even going through the battery clamps?

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

So very weird thing going on with the battery. When I put my meter across battery posts I get 12 perfect. When I switch to acc on ignition battery drops to like 11ish and radio works. I switch to on and radio works for like 30 sec cuts out and when I check volts across battery it starts going down about .1 v per 30 sec. I can see it drop as I hold it. It went down to 5.6 volts until I quit watching. When I remove the terminals from the battery and check across the posts again it stabilizes back to 12v. I don't have another battery to try but based on you guys input I'll go swop the battery out tomorrow at AutoZone. I'm hoping it's the battery not my wiring expertise.

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

Update. It was the battery. I got it exchanged and hooked up the new one and everything works perfect. Even turned on the headlights, radio, heater, and wipers. And checked the voltage on the battery posts and was still reading 11.9. Maybe I can chalk up the mystery relay malfunction to the original battery surging or something? Checked the relay it clicks just fine when I turn to run on ignition. Still don't know why my engine randomly turned on

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Update. It was the battery. I got it exchanged and hooked up the new one and everything works perfect. Even turned on the headlights, radio, heater, and wipers. And checked the voltage on the battery posts and was still reading 11.9. Maybe I can chalk up the mystery relay malfunction to the original battery surging or something? Checked the relay it clicks just fine when I turn to run on ignition. Still don't know why my engine randomly turned on
Nice. Was that 11.9 with the engine running??

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

Didn't cross the turning on the engine milestone yet of my bronco journey