• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco seems wierd could it be cold weather??

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Its seems like my Np435 is making wierd noises and the motor is running like crap. Does anyone else have this issue in the cold weather?? The Np is making a little noise when Im out of gear and idling.

Stock 302 holley 8150 carb, Np435 w/D20.

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do the sounds go away and the motor run better when it reaches operating temperature?

When I lived in CO my 76 took some time to warm up before it would run normal. Although I had a C4, I had heard some folks who had problems with the gear oil being to thick in cold weather until everything warmed up, if it warmed up enough. There are a lot of members on here with 435's so I am sure one of them will have an idea of what is happening and what to do.

Good luck.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
How cold are we talking ? I had a NP435 in a pickup that started howling at any temperature below + 5 . It would stop when the tranny warmed up .
As far as your engine running like crap ; again ; how cold?
I see you have a holley carb . I don't know what model / size the 8150 is .
Do you have any of the " heat pickup tube " or assembly or anything to draw warm air to the carb still installed? Or are you like most of us and have that stuff removed and just running a paper / low restriction air cleaner . What temperature thermostat do you have ?
What i'm getting at is when we do everything we can to get cooler summer operating temperatures . And we also remove warm air tubes to get more cold air into the carb -- they don't run very well when it's cold - at least mine don't.
SHX

ugly74

Bronco abuser
ya meant mdl 1850, didn't ya? 600cfm vac secondary 4v?
pop the hood before ya start it, and see where the choke is at. that carb, on that engine doesn't need a whole helluva lot of choke, even when it's cold. I have mine so it's just ever so slightly tilted towards closed (like 2*)
hit the gas one time, and it fires right up. I do need to sit there for a minute to babysit it if it's real cold but...meh

jer

I started my bronc yesterday and it ran like crap I almost thought it was froze up cold weather and fords dont get allong very well in my openion.My 3 speed allways makes those noises though time for a auto

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Its seems like my Np435 is making wierd noises and the motor is running like crap. Does anyone else have this issue in the cold weather?? The Np is making a little noise when Im out of gear and idling.

Stock 302 holley 8150 carb, Np435 w/D20.

I know you have been having some problems. This might be worthwhile checking out. http://www.users.bigpond.com/ergoff/vac1.htm