• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco VS Jeep

bigdaddyof4

Loc.
Vincennes, IN
I knew that would get your attention 😀
I recently sold my 72 Bronco in hopes of getting something more modern, easier on gas, cheaper to work on all reasons because I have only 1 vehicle and it's a daily driver. My first impression was buying a Jeep Wrangler 22 years newer was half of what I sold my EB for so we know which is more desirable in this area. Then again I had a few grand to throw at the jeep. Second I lost half my horse power and only gained 4 MPG 😠. Third the ride quality is about the same (assuming it's due to solid axle) and finally all that damn shifting going from a 3 speed to a 5 speed. I MISS MY EB 😩

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My Buddies Rubicon is pretty bitchin'.

I wouldn't kick it out of bed.

But boy oh boy are they expensive well equipped.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Never buy based on mpg. Friend has a Prius. Good on gas. Driver's side headlight went out. $600 for the out of warranty light computer. People I am sure don't factor in what these modern cars cost to repair when they buy. Tears the crap out of the mpg savings.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I have an 04 F150 with the 3 valve 5.4 with only 43K miles. They have a history of top end troubles that run about 3 -4 K to fix. Some go 100 K without trouble ,some don't. I 've never owned anything that I worried about blowing up more than this. I'll keep my EB,I understand how it works and it doesn't mind getting run hard.

mac77

Loc.
Vicksburg
I traded my '77 half can for an '05 a wrangler for all the same reasons you mentioned. Had it for 6 months. Now I have a '72. Nothing like a Bronco.

OP
OP
bigdaddyof4

bigdaddyof4

Loc.
Vincennes, IN
Like I said I'll be back to the EB world one day and the man that bought mine is sending me pictures of the restoration

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Every time I have sold an EB ( 4 times ) I have regretted it. Never again, my 77 will be with me till the end. ;)

wegngis

Loc.
Oregon
Jeeps are OK, I help my buddy work on his from time to time. My main observation with the YJ vs. Bronco is that everything on the YJ is smaller and seems wimpier. Then again, fuel injection is awesome. The Bronco, being older, seems to have that much more dirt and crud on it from the years, and more goo coming from more places. The Jeep needs to wind up the RPM's to get power, whereas the Bronco is much better at the low end.

Jeeps have a 'cool factor' while Broncos have an 'awesome factor.'

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Wouldn't sell my Bronco to get any other vehicle.

Some years ago I had a co-worker that bought a house for $200,000 - sold it for $400,000 and was told by his neighbors that he would not be able to afford to move back there if he moved away.

I look at Broncos that same way, if I sell out I won't be able to afford another one.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I bought a 4door JK new in 07'. Just sold it last month. It was the wife's daily driver. It cost what the bronco is worth now, sold it for what the Bronco was worth 10 years ago.

Mark

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I bought a 4door JK new in 07'. Just sold it last month. It was the wife's daily driver. It cost what the bronco is worth now, sold it for what the Bronco was worth 10 years ago.

Mark

That's the big difference.

New vehicle = depreciation in value and resale.
Starts as soon as you sign the paperwork, you have already lost thousands.

Classic vehicle = Appreciation in value

Start saving money NOW, when you want another Bronco the price WILL be higher.

Dave K.

No regrets whatsoever with my 2006 Wrangler Rubicon LJ--bought it with 10K miles on it, now has 30K. It's got a great ride, handles well, sucks fuel and is unstoppable in the muck even without all of the aftermarket goodies installed. Lockers, Dana 44s great engine and a hardtop you can actually remove with a couple of friends. I don't deny that I like my 74 Bronco but these comparisons always kind of make me laugh really. I also have a 52 M38, 83 Jeep Scrambler and a 68 Chevy Shortbed K10 and all of them have their plusses and minuses....... if I had to choose between the Bronc and the Ruby though..... Ruby all the way..... but then I just received my first AARP membership invite.... and based on some of the prices I have seen these low-mile LJ Rubicons are actually staying steady at between 20-25K in resale price for the pristine ones like mine (doesn't see winter just like my Bronco).....

Attachments

• Rubicon.JPG
    Rubicon.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 99

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
serves you right, haha.. JK. Good luck.

Hopefully back to the EB world, sooner rather than later. :D

Mtgrizzlymn

I sold my 2002 heep to buy my 69 bronco and don't miss it one bit! My bronco is better in just about every aspect to me and looks so much cooler

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
JKs are a whole different beast than YJs or TJs/LJs. My 2013 JKUR (4-door Rubicon) is actually pretty awesome and very comfortable on the street. I've driven it to Florida, to Colorado numerous times, and to Washington State and back pulling a trailer. We had all over Colorado this summer on the Alpine Loop, Black Bear pass, etc. It's truly a vehicle you can drive for thousands of miles, abuse on the trails and it will get you home with no issues. Only issue I've had is that it has 70K miles and it's on its 3rd set of tires! 2 sets of muds (stock BFGs and GY MTR Kevlars) got way too loud when they got worn some. Finally went to Duratracs and the noise issue is gone.

That said I would sell the Jeep in a heartbeat if it came down to a choice between the Jeep and our Broncos. My plan is to trade the Rubicon in on a new Bronco in 2020!! ;D

Trey Taylor

My 14 year old daughter said "jeeps are so basic" everybody has them.
Not everyone has a Bronco. Bronco's are cool!