• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broncos with ZF Swaps!

RPM289

Can someone post a "shopping list " for the junkyard when we go looking for a ZF? 2wd or 4wdZF? New to this swap.... :)

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Did I miss somewhere that DS air box has to be deleted to install clutch MC with ZF conversion?

Hank

No, that is just how I happened to do it. I think you can squeeze the M/C in next to the brake booster.

If you use the speedometer cable hole for the clutch MC, you can keep the air box. I pulled mine out to make working on the MC swap way easier and left it out as it makes working on the cluster easier too. Then I moved the cable over so it would be a straight shot into the back of the cluster so I can't use it now. I can get pics later if you want.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Can someone post a "shopping list " for the junkyard when we go looking for a ZF? 2wd or 4wdZF? New to this swap.... :)

Needs to be a 4x4 ZF, and only from a 302/5.0L V8 or 351/5.8L V8 or 300/4.9L I6.
The bellhousing is part of the ZF5

The 2wd has a yoke on the rear output and no way to mount to a transfer case.

RPM289

Needs to be a 4x4 ZF, and only from a 302/5.0L V8 or 351/5.8L V8 or 300/4.9L I6.
The bellhousing is part of the ZF5

The 2wd has a yoke on the rear output and no way to mount to a transfer case.

Thanks!!!! I know what to look for now :)

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Wrong on two counts. A 2wd can be made to fit. There is a write up on it.
Also, with a yoke, a divorced transfer case can be used from any application if so desired where a boltup isn't made.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
The 2wd zf article should be removed, it has never been proven to work and many agree it would probably unsafe.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
A divorced transfer case?

Then you have a driveshaft between the transmission and the transfer case which means the driveshaft from the transfer case to the rear differential would be really short and at a really steep angle.

Also you would need a way to convert most transfer cases to divorced, very few were made that way.

All just to use a less suitable transmission.

CraigS

Early mockup mode. Still deciding on whether to keep the 'bent rod' crossmember. That's a 250 six.

Attachments

• engtransturbo.jpg
    engtransturbo.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 70

bsquared

Contributor
Here's some photos of my ZF swap w/ the NP205. ZF crossmember from BC Broncos and frame support idea from Hammer here on CB.com 2" body lift gave me the clearance to weld a body support bolt to the frame. Message me if you have questions or need more pics. Good luck and you're gonna love it!

Attachments

• Tunnelin3rdGear.jpg
    Tunnelin3rdGear.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 66
  • NPBoltBrace.JPG
    NPBoltBrace.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 63
  • NP205Mounted.JPG
    NP205Mounted.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 69
  • NP205MountedIn.JPG
    NP205MountedIn.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 67
  • NPBolt1.JPG
    NPBolt1.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 69
  • ZFNotch2.JPG
    ZFNotch2.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 65
  • EngineTrans.jpg
    EngineTrans.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 69

bsquared

Contributor
Forgot to mention, running duals was difficult with long tube headers. Had to route my exhaust under the frame on DS to get past the NP205. Built a skid plate to protect it when crawling.

Attachments

• NakedExhaust.JPG
    NakedExhaust.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 72
  • NP205PlateDriver.JPG
    NP205PlateDriver.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 71
  • NP205PlatePass2.JPG
    NP205PlatePass2.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 65