• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bubble Plexiglass windows

slim811

Contributor
I had come across a few pictures of Plexiglass Bubble windows all tinted. Does any one even sell these any more? Seems like I remember on one of Ted Nugent's 1970's earlier double albums when i first noticed them. Again I've seen pixs of the hard top sides, lift gate, and even for the half cab on a post here. Just Curious! THANKS

Attachments

• bubble lift gate.jpg
    bubble lift gate.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 100
  • bubble half cab.JPG
    bubble half cab.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 106

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
These were a James Duff classic from the 70s. His Pony Express half cab featured the smokey bubble window in his first Peterson's 4WOR spread in '78 and yes, Ted's black '75 had them in the full top.

I saw one on Ebay just this week for a half cab:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Ford-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd85865bb&vxp=mtr

I had come across a few pictures of Plexiglass Bubble windows all tinted. Does any one even sell these any more? Seems like I remember on one of Ted Nugent's 1970's earlier double albums when i first noticed them. Again I've seen pixs of the hard top sides, lift gate, and even for the half cab on a post here. Just Curious! THANKS

Attachments

• Super Celebration 2012 102.jpg
    Super Celebration 2012 102.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Ted.jpg
    Ted.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 151
  • Duff window.jpg
    Duff window.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

slim811

Contributor
WOW! Thanks for responding so fast.

Gees I am impressed, but that's why I am here to learn. Oh by the way, Thanks for the luggage rack. I keep thinking of ways to make my Bronco unique.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I had one in a fiberglass halfcab top. I sold the top and never even thought about pulling it out until it was too late. I'm fairly sure they guy who bought the top was not going to use it or would not appreciate it. It was scratched, but could have likely been polished out, or at least could have been used as a pattern to form new ones.

The rear window in my Balloon Chaser F100 is also a plexi bubble like this.

I have tried to find some of the other plexi windows that were used on the Balloon Chaser van which I am wanting to re-create and it seems that these do not meet current DOT requirements and are no longer produced. At leas that is what I read somewhere while researching trying to locate some.

The plexi gull wind tops on the F-100 and Ambulance Bronco have a molded in airfoil shape. I have searched to find some for spares, but have never found any. I will have to likely have to thermoform those myself if I ever need to replace one.

Attachments

• download (2).jpg
    download (2).jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 108
  • CIMG7871.JPG
    CIMG7871.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 90
  • CIMG7889.JPG
    CIMG7889.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 96
  • åIMG7463.jpg
    åIMG7463.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 105
  • åIMG7464.jpg
    åIMG7464.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 88

carhauler

Loc.
Harford Co. MD
Can these still be found? My 77 has them all the way around the top and the one in the lift gate is cracked. Would love to replace it with the same thing.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I see them on rare occasions. I know of one truck sitting here in AZ that has them in the side windows at least. Would have to do a drive-by and see if there's one in the rear.

Todd Z.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I had a guy make custom light covers for my replica Ferrari. I actually called him after seeing him on American Restoration doing the NASA flight helmet face shield. (working out of his home now in Las Vegas) IMHO he was a little slow in getting them done but was very reasonable and they look great. If you have an old one, he may be able to cast a mold and make them.

www.Wedoplastics.com

Not my car but you can get the idea of complexity (bowed and bubble out)
2759116.jpg

JGZ

Any good plastic fab shop can make those.It won't be cheap.But it can be done.A big oven a perimeter frame and gravity are all you need.

RPM289

We formed a Lexan canopy for our air race plane using a torpedo heater hanging from the celling so we could swing it around to keep Lexan hot all around as we pulled it down over the mold took a couple of tries to get it with no distortions in pilots view but these should not be too hard to do.

carhauler

Loc.
Harford Co. MD
Yeah, I called Duff's this morning just on the off chance they may have or know wher to find one. No luck on that front but the guy I talked to said to make a perimeter frame and use propane to heat a piece of lexan to duplicate. I don't think I'm gonna try that with the cost of a tinted piece of lexan, but we have a window shop locally that I think could do it if I take him the cracked window. I know squat about making / using molds.