• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bucking the Bronco with a Vortec

Rodnik99

Loc.
Kelowna BC Canada
The project begins 1977 with v8 auto is getting a Chevy heartbeat- 8.1 Vortec which is a 496 cu in . This will be a complete resto with the prerunner panels and wider axles . I know it's blasphemy but a cookie cutter resto doesn't cut it for us All comments are welcomed and I will post pics until this thread probably burns

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
The project begins 1977 with v8 auto is getting a Chevy heartbeat- 8.1 Vortec which is a 496 cu in . This will be a complete resto with the prerunner panels and wider axles . I know it's blasphemy but a cookie cutter resto doesn't cut it for us All comments are welcomed and I will post pics until this thread probably burns

whats the vin ... don't need to know the last 3 numbers !

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why wouldn’t you go with the Vortec 6.2. Out of an Escalade , 200 lbs lighter and 70 more horsepower maybe a little less torque. You can’t beat 40 years of small block development.
The 496 is a big heavy motor

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I applaud the unconventional thinking. Thankfully not another LS swap.

I don't think it is going to fit very well. I really don't see room for a cooling package. But interested to see how it comes out.

halfgassed

Loc.
marquette Michigan
Lmfao! I was just telling my wife we should build a 8.1 powered bronco last night! I love it! My old d's/ tow rig was an 8.1, absolute torque monster. My buddy loved it so much he built his last tube rig around a 8.1. Hell yeah!

About 8 years ago I had a built 396 bbc mocked up in between the fenders on a 70 bronco I had. To all the nay sayers it fit surprisingly well, I was planning on running the efi system of a mercury racing 500 horse 502 (cigarette boat stuff) it would have looked like a giant tuned port poking out the hood.

Good luck, cant wait to see the results!

OP
OP
R

Rodnik99

Loc.
Kelowna BC Canada
The reason for this engine is ....its there . And friends all agree at beer thirty it can happen. These Broncos are a great platform for mods and this will be a FrankinBronc of mods. We have a fully equipped shop and plenty of talent .

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Been there, don't be defensive or offended and it will be just fine;)

I have a bronco with an LS, 700r4, GM 60 and 14bolt. Have made some phenomilal friends here, so they'll forgive but may not forget:p build away and post pics!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I applaud the unconventional thinking. Thankfully not another LS swap.

I don't think it is going to fit very well. I really don't see room for a cooling package. But interested to see how it comes out.

not that I would ever think about it but yeah, interesting on what different mods will need to be done.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru

I have a bronco with an LS, 700r4, GM 60 and 14bolt. Have made some phenomilal friends here, so they'll forgive but may not forget:p build away and post pics!
watcha talkin about willis;D

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Rebel with a clue. lol

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Back in the day, there were a lot of small block Chevy motors in previously six cylinder Broncos. That motor actually fit better than the small block Ford.
You know that notch in the Bronco firewall? it was made to accommodate the longer six cylinder engine, but fit Chevy's rear distributor perfectly.
Also, The small block Ford has a front oil pump that had to be adapted so it could have a proper rear sump for 4WD use. Chevy motors already had that feature.
Personally, I can't think of a more appropriate motor in a Bronco than a GM LS type motor. Lots less mods are needed for an LS than a Coyote.
We routinely use Caddy brakes, Jeep trannys, and various diesel engines in our Broncos but somehow swapping gasoline engine manufacturers is taboo.
This is a crazy world!?:?

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Personally, I can't think of a more appropriate motor in a Bronco than a GM LS type motor. Lots less mods are needed for an LS than a Coyote.

If someone made a LS-to-C4 bellhousing, flexplate starter set up specifically for us black sheep.

Does the LS even require a new serp set up?