• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Budget piston opinions- 351 (not the usual application though)

barronj

Bronco Guru
I'm building a '95 351 to replace the one in the boat ('93). The current one is a solid lift cam (I presume), the new one will be a roller motor. I just picked up a set of GT40 non-p heads off an Exploder (I did not expect them to already have 1/2" head bolts!?!), as the current motor has GT40 heads. I want a one day swap of long blocks, if I can.

The boat runs great cold, but at 850 hours, it smokes a bunch after it's warmed up, and always surges at idle (after warm). If I had to guess, I would say that at least two cylinders lose compression after the engine warms up, based on the loping. I really don't think it's the idle circuit, but I guess it could be. I've rebuilt the carb, and I've tuned it fairly well, but I'm no pro. I admit that i need to do leak down & compression tests.

The block I got had some damage done the pistons from a dropped valve, so I cannot reuse the original dish pistons, and I will have to order new.

I want to keep the compression low enough to run regular gas without detonation. My bronco has the dish pistoned 351 with small chamber aluminum heads on it & runs like crap without '93 (before I switched to higher octane fuel, it would always diesel when you turned it off). Hoping to avoid that.

What's the best low budget piston, for a motor that will never see more than 4500 rpm, usually no more than 2500 sustained?

Thanks in advance.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
ROSS makes a good piston...why do you want to go cheap on your boat pistons?..That engine gets quite a work out...

70_Steve

Old Guy
I built my 351 with a couple conditions in mind. High torque/low RPM performance and run on regular gas. I have huge (87CC) combustion chambers in the E6 heads I'm using. So I wound up going with Speed-Pro Hypereutectic Pistons ZH336CP40. They're the stock 8.5-1 pistons but the installed height was .028. So I had the block decked to reduce the installed height to .005. That raised the compression to around 9.0-1 and reduced quench height to .044.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-h336cp40/overview/make/ford

I don't know the combustion chamber volume of those GT40 heads, but the SpeedPro site had a very easy to use combustion ratio calculator.

OP
OP
barronj

barronj

Bronco Guru
Did you have to mill the intake to adjust to the decking?

70_Steve

Old Guy
Did you have to mill the intake to adjust to the decking?
I didn't. I asked the machine shop about it, and they felt that it was't enough to make a difference on the intake. I've had the intake off a couple times (don't ask...) and haven't noticed a mismatch in the ports. And, I don't have any leaks!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had many blocks decked ..some as much as .050"..and still had no issues with the intake fitting OK. It's always a good idea to check via a dry fitup though..before you slap new gaskets on the intake and bolt it up. I've had several where the front and rear valley gaps had become so small that I couldn't use those gasket pieces because they would have prevented the intake from bolting down as it should. A bead of RTV instead.