• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I go with a budget 351w Build or Keep Saving?

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I need a reality check here guys. I have been saving for a couple years now for a well built motor, something from 351-408 will all the good stuff, mid 400 hp and torque. Far from having enough money to do the build and thinking of lowering my expectations.

I have a chance for the following fresh build within my current budget:

351w mid 90's roller motor
GT40 heads
Comp Cam 35-512-8
Compression 9.5

Very rough estimate is 325hp and 400 ft/lbs once done with air gap intake and long tube headers.

Question is, will I feel a big difference from my current non roller mid 70's mostly stock 302 or should I keep saving for the more fun motor?

I guess if the new 351 isn't enough, I could always add a nice set of heads later.

good info, C4, 35" tires regeard to 4:30s. Mostly street driven with rocks and dunes from time to time.

thanks,

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I think you should feel a noted power improvement over a 302.
But I am only seeing about half of what your goals are. You know what you want, this engine is only halfway there.
Unless the current engine is dead and you need something right now, I would pass and keep putting together what you really want.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Your dream... will you always be doubting your choice to not build the powerplant of your choice?? :)

If that's the case then maybe keep driving what you got.

I was building strokers for others while saving to finally do my own. My 351W I'd built decades before kept running like a swiss watch with 150K on it so I waited... and glad I did. That was my 4th engine and the power difference between the 351w and a 302 was night and day. Torque makes a huge difference with a 4500# rig. I've had 2 more since, each a bigger dream motor.

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
OB I think you are on the right track. The 351 is a nice upgrade from the 302 vs going with a 5.0 and having to go with all the other conversions needed. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with the iron heads vs aluminum. I spent a ton of money of RPM Alumn heads that I will never use and are just bling under the hood. I wished I had taken that savings and put it into EFI or upgraded ignition and fuel delivery. IMO, like many here my rig will rarely see rpm's over 4000.

I am not educated enough on CAM choices but I would focus on an orchestrated effort to have my power band down lower in the rpm range unless you are building a mud pit truck. Talk to a pro about cam choice, timing and fuel to focus maximum effort at 1500 to 3000 rpms.

On your headers I am not sure what long tubes are going to do for you. Do more research as I recall long tubes can be a pain vs shorty's.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I think I need a reality check here guys. I have been saving for a couple years now for a well built motor, something from 351-408 will all the good stuff, mid 400 hp and torque. Far from having enough money to do the build and thinking of lowering my expectations.

I have a chance for the following fresh build within my current budget:

351w mid 90's roller motor
GT40 heads
Comp Cam 35-512-8
Compression 9.5

Very rough estimate is 325hp and 400 ft/lbs once done with air gap intake and long tube headers.

Question is, will I feel a big difference from my current non roller mid 70's mostly stock 302 or should I keep saving for the more fun motor?

I guess if the new 351 isn't enough, I could always add a nice set of heads later.

good info, C4, 35" tires regeard to 4:30s. Mostly street driven with rocks and dunes from time to time.

thanks,
How much power is enough? I mean I get it....it's all about the talking point of who's is bigger :) My Shelby has 662hp and is dangerous at times and you have to be going really fast and really getting after it to get near the total HP output it's capable of but I still love it.....

With 325HP and 450 ft/lbs torque (very close to my numbers) your almost tripling the HP and doubling the torque. Get your gearing right (your going to need more then 4.30's with 35's) and pick a cam that makes it's power in the RPM band you plan to be in. It's going to be a fun to drive. Mine sure is.....

To answer the question "will I feel a big difference from my current non roller mid 70's mostly stock 302" YEAH you're going to feel it IF you get gearing and cam right. Gearing is the #1 mistake people make followed by cam selection.

JMO......

Tim

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
All of this is true and I made all of these mistakes. Of course I did not find this place until after I pulled the trigger.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
4.30 gears and 35s, with a C4, should be pretty good unless going totally insane on the cam.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like a great (if a bit mild perhaps) cam for that engine in a Bronco!
Should pull pretty strong from the bottom.
And with 114 lsa it's EFI friendly right out of the box if you go that route.

As said, and if the estimated power numbers are correct, how could you not notice another almost 200hp and 200lbs of torque? Pretty much you can't ignore the added pep.
Especially if you have a nicely tuned EFI setup on it.

I'm with the others that say keep saving if that's what you want and this one does not meet your goals. But I'd also hate to see you have to wait another twenty years because life just keeps getting it's sticky fingers into the piggy bank.
What are your actual goals? I'd be shocked if that engine you listed did not at least put huge smiles on your face every time it fires up.

Paul

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Gents, thanks for all the advice. This sight and you all are great. I decided to pull the trigger. I think I will be happy (at least for a while) and if it ain’t enough, maybe heads and a bigger cam are in the future. At least for now I will have some more power and can still (with some more saving) do some of the other projects like 4r70w and rebuild steering box etc. So look for a bunch of other threads on what intake, distributor, oil pump etc for the rest of this motor build. Cheers

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How much power is enough? I mean I get it....it's all about the talking point of who's is bigger :) My Shelby has 662hp and is dangerous at times and you have to be going really fast and really getting after it to get near the total HP output it's capable of but I still love it.....

With 325HP and 450 ft/lbs torque (very close to my numbers) your almost tripling the HP and doubling the torque. Get your gearing right (your going to need more then 4.30's with 35's) and pick a cam that makes it's power in the RPM band you plan to be in. It's going to be a fun to drive. Mine sure is.....

To answer the question "will I feel a big difference from my current non roller mid 70's mostly stock 302" YEAH you're going to feel it IF you get gearing and cam right. Gearing is the #1 mistake people make followed by cam selection.

JMO......

Tim
And you are putting it in a square box that is not intended for speed performance. Personally I would only put these highe hp engines in a ford muscle car aka f/b mustang, galaxie, falcon, etc. but to each his own.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I am not into high speed cruising or clocking ET's in my Bronco, but since I use it in extreme wheeling I (along with many others) actually need my "higher hp engine(s)" to go where I want to go. Agreed it isn't needed for daily driving but neither are selectable lockers frt/rear, 40" tires, 14+" of axle travel etc.

What I'm hoping fordguy and others might understand is that trying to conquer that entire trail that is miles long and is 3' deep, heavy wet snow that feels like wet concrete or those tall, super soft sand dunes that you can't get a run at are now doable.

Without high hp engines you don't stand a chance at these. I know, because the extra 400HP in the SAME Bronco can now conquer those challenges and without the HP, I know from experience that you can't.

I have had 6 different engines of all different cubic inch sizes (except my stockish 289 when I bought it and my HP289 solid lifter 271hp I had) in the same Bronco over the decades so I can give you many examples of where the higher HP makes the difference for making it or not even trying. Once again, I have absolutely no desire to cruise at 90-100 mph in my Bronco.-none. I know from experience that you aren't spinning 4 locked up 40" tires at 5,500rpm for minutes at a time in nasty conditions with a 302 or 351W.

This last part is important- I am not saying you can't have a ton of fun with less hp. :)

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Motor is done and picking it up tomorrow. I think the extra HP and torque will keep me entertained for a while. If it ain’t enough I can always save up for the extra HP later. It’s a very low milage motor and never been bored so I have plenty of miles to decide. But it’s going to be a few months before it goes in. Can’t wait. Thanks again

Reactions: kat

nvrstuk

Contributor
Congrats!

You'll love it!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Your dream... will you always be doubting your choice to not build the powerplant of your choice?? :)

If that's the case then maybe keep driving what you got.

I was building strokers for others while saving to finally do my own. My 351W I'd built decades before kept running like a swiss watch with 150K on it so I waited... and glad I did. That was my 4th engine and the power difference between the 351w and a 302 was night and day. Torque makes a huge difference with a 4500# rig. I've had 2 more since, each a bigger dream motor.

yes sir...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Motor is done and picking it up tomorrow. I think the extra HP and torque will keep me entertained for a while. If it ain’t enough I can always save up for the extra HP later. It’s a very low milage motor and never been bored so I have plenty of miles to decide. But it’s going to be a few months before it goes in. Can’t wait. Thanks again

Congrats sir

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
It's Wednesday night. That new motor fired up yet? :) I sure couldn't wait a couple months

Tim

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's Wednesday night. That new motor fired up yet? :) I sure couldn't wait a couple months

Tim

lol ya the wait is killing me, but going to do my best to take my time to get the right stuff to go on the long block. Look for lots of questions for good bolt on parts.

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Bolt on parts = dig out wallet! :)