• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Build from scratch starting with a title and glove box only?

MrT

Who's done it? Any surprises when registering it? If you started with an aftermarket frame did you have any issues with no vin being on it? Any help or thoughts about it from anyone is welcome.

Thanks

Contributor
You don’t have the legal rights to the vin with just the title and warranty tag from the glovebox.

OP
OP
M

MrT

What is needed for legal rights? If the named owner of a rusted out frame buys an aftermarket frame and sells it with his title and warranty tag then what? What if it's a completed Bronco with a replacement frame, original owner? Does it become a kit car?

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Get metal stamp set, get star stamp - usually have to buy seperate. stamp VIN to frame. As long as you legally own the VIN and old frame/destroyed you should be good to go. There will be a lot of moaning from some but it is that simple.

Last edited:

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Call your state DMV and find out the legal way to do it. It varies by state. Not worth the risk to follow anybody else’s advice. VIN tampering is a federal offense.

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
In Colorado you have to have the old frame inspected and determined to be unsalvageable then get a rebuilders title. Once rebuilt, you have to take the new entire vehicle in for inspection and surrender the old frame. They still assign a new state VIN and if you do anything like a coyote swap they have the ability to assign an EFI year based on the emissions year of the drivetrain. You basically have a kit car title and proof you destroyed a bronco.

Therefore, I am building on a titled Bronco frame with legible VIN so no more inspections. I spent hours on the phone with DMV trying to figure out ways around it and there are none in Colorado.

Also, the titled frame has to be previously registered in Colorado when transferring to your name or it will also require a State inspection at time of Titleing so it must be a running street legal vehicle before tear down if coming from another state.

OP
OP
M

MrT

In Colorado you have to have the old frame inspected and determined to be unsalvageable then get a rebuilders title. Once rebuilt, you have to take the new entire vehicle in for inspection and surrender the old frame. They still assign a new state VIN and if you do anything like a coyote swap they have the ability to assign an EFI year based on the emissions year of the drivetrain. You basically have a kit car title and proof you destroyed a bronco.

Therefore, I am building on a titled Bronco frame with legible VIN so no more inspections. I spent hours on the phone with DMV trying to figure out ways around it and there are none in Colorado.

Also, the titled frame has to be previously registered in Colorado when transferring to your name or it will also require a State inspection at time of Titleing so it must be a running street legal vehicle before tear down if coming from another state.
Good information. Thanks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't go stamping your own VIN. Illegal on every state and federal level.
Glove box is only useful for the really lazy state inspector. The one who is only looking to get through the day. Any future dealings that need a VIN (accident, insurance, theft, sale, etc.) where a real check of the VIN happens, you are so screwed. Even a good state inspector who actually knows there job is going to be a problem.

There are ways to legally replace a frame. Start with your state motor vehicle inspection system and see what they tell you to do. My guess is you will get an assigned VIN by the state.

Has anyone contacted the aftermarket frame suppliers and asked what they are doing about the frame stamped VIN numbers?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has anyone contacted the aftermarket frame suppliers and asked what they are doing about the frame stamped VIN numbers?
In a couple of the previous discussions, I remember at least a couple of people having done just that.
As usual, there were varying answers, in varying degrees of detail.
None of which I remember being conclusive…

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
In Pennsylvania there is no inspection of a car to change title etc. Just as long as you have the seller and the buyer present the car could be non existent and you can transfer the title, get plates etc. So here in PA if I had a title and a seller that used to own the car I could start with the title only and buy all new.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
you better have the frame w. matching vin number ! whoever got the frame can at any point apply for a lost title and report a stolen EB. once he or she gets the title they can literally come to your house and take your Bronco

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
you better have the frame w. matching vin number ! whoever got the frame can at any point apply for a lost title and report a stolen EB. once he or she gets the title they can literally come to your house and take your Bronco
Wouldn't instead the person with the title have the rights to your frame?

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
The legal title is assigned to the frame. Having the frame trumps having a piece of paper and warranty tag from the glove box.
This would mean someone could steal a Bronco titled in my name and get their own title for it based on now having possession of the frame.

A title in my name means the matching frame belongs to me, no matter who has possession of it. That's the point of a title, to prove ownership.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
This would mean someone could steal a Bronco titled in my name and get their own title for it based on now having possession of the frame.

A title in my name means the matching frame belongs to me, no matter who has possession of it. That's the point of a title, to prove ownership.

LOL, that police report, the record with the DMV stating that vehicle was stolen, and the rightful owner holding the title would prevent anyone from getting a legitimate title on a stolen vehicle. It's why you hear of vehicles that were stolen decades ago sometimes being recovered and either returned to the person they were stolen from or the insurance company that paid out on the claim. Person the stolen vehicle was recovered from is outta luck even if they had nothing to do with the theft. It's also why getting a replacement or bonded title because you "lost" or never had it takes so long. Because all that paperwork goes back to the DMV and rightful owner to verify the person attempting to get the title isn't trying to pull a fast one. Your rationale is like saying if I break into an empty home and squat there, I would be able to apply for a deed on the house simply because I have possession of it.

A title in your name without the frame means you illegally manipulated the system to get a title without the frame it's assigned to and are guilty of fraud. It's a Federal mandate that the VIN is assigned to a frame. There are dozens of threads about this here on the board that you can research. You can also research Federal VIN laws. People like to twist this all around to convince themselves they're not doing anything illegal, but VIN tampering is a federal offense. Removing a VIN from a frame, assigning a VIN to another vehicle, putting a glovebox door with warranty tag from a smog exempt year on a non-smog exempt year in an attempt to circumvent bi-annual smog testing, are all illegal as hell.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Sounds like fixing the original frame is the best choice if its possible and all other options can be a PITA!

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I worked with a fellow that bought a 69 Camaro and restored it. Went to the DMV to license it and was told that it had been stolen back in the 70's. The original owners were allowed to come and get the car. He was really torn up, but his insurance covered it with his comprehensive policy. I don't think he got what it was worth, but he wasn't completely out his money.