• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Build a EB from scratch?

trekgurl

Has anyone built or know of someone who bought all new sheet metal (pieces) and welded it together? In other words you have a rolling chassis and weld the replacement parts together from there up? Wonder what the (estimated) difficulty/cost be in creating a EB body this way? I know seeing what some of you have done rebuilding/cutting rust out your not far away from that? You got skills if you can do that.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
I think it would be cheaper to find a tub in decent shape to start with. I have a friend of mine who's wanting to rebuild one of my parts Broncos. I told him it would be cheaper and easier in the long run to buy a decent one and start from there.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
JBG has just about everything needed (they might actually have everything now) the hardest part would be fixturing everything to make it straight.

Anything can be done though.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
The hard part is the little brackets and what nots to put it together. We assembled a bronco for my nephew from donated parts ( we bought a good tub& Frame to start). Getting the little brackets and crap took longer than to assemble the major parts.
Tom

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
A while back there were rumors/stories about a company somewhere building all new, all steel EB body tubs from the available parts. I never saw any names. locations, or other info, but I can imagine that would be a pretty spendy tub! I've got a Bronco & a half sitting around in parts that I've often thought of doing something with, but to be honest I'd probably scrap the rusty tub & go 'glass rather than try to resurrect the steel. that is unless, of course, an assembled all steel tub could be had "reasonably".

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Me and my sons built mine from scratch. It took about 10 months and a lot of money. Its a good way to become a decent welder. You definately need a lot of clamps.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll vouch for Flash's buildup from almost nothing. Seriously I think all he had was a firewall, frame, axles and that was about it. It looks awesome.

Blue71

fwilder

I can't imagine that a bronco would cost this much, but I know the new 69 Camero bodies from Year one (I think) are ~$12,500. That's for hardtop or convertable. Everything from the firewall back. Yikes.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I would have loved to be able to do it from scratch. Due to my lack of welding ability and dinero (after the divorce), I went with a decent tub (before it jumped off the trailer - looked great for about 4 1/2 hours) and am piecing the bronco together from other broncos. 70 frame, 76 dana 44, and trans.

J.D.

Why do you sell a 70 half cab to pay for the lawyer's retainer?

-because it's worth it!!!

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
ponygurl said:
I think PDXBronco is doing it,,,, thats alot of fabbing,,,, amazing

Not me, wish I had that kind of skill ;D ;D , just parts and pieces from different rigs and some new metal here and there.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
i saw one on ebay that was a complete new fab. they wanted 10k for it. i could tell from the pics that it didn't go together quite right. i would recommend finding a nice truck and starting there. the repro metal isn't galvanized and rusts quickly. it'd have to be dipped, sealed, and almost soaked in primer if it was gonna last.

1975SPORT

Loc.
Hood River, Oregon
I agree, beyond a untouchable budget (ie stacy on trucks) it would be way cheaper to even spend 10k on a nice bronco and make it what you want than to buy all new parts and spend that much labor. Buuuuttttt, on the other hand it would be sweet to have a BRAND SPANKIN new one.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
broncosbybart said:
i saw one on ebay that was a complete new fab. they wanted 10k for it. i could tell from the pics that it didn't go together quite right. i would recommend finding a nice truck and starting there. the repro metal isn't galvanized and rusts quickly. it'd have to be dipped, sealed, and almost soaked in primer if it was gonna last.

Ford stopped rust preventing the EBs after 67. The better sheet metal fab shops are better coated than the originals were.
Tom