• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

build sheet help

Blue42

I have been tearing down the 76 bronco, and just about have it to the frame (axles off, brake lines off,). I am a rookie to restorations, and am subbing out the big stuff (engine rebuild, body work), but look forward to some of the simple stuff. Could use some direction on where to source things. Please assume freight is not an issue:

Where would you get:

23 Gal EFI gas tank
What else do you need? Lines, pump?
brake lines (can you get the entire truck's lines in a kit)
Stainless bolt kit for the whole rig?
3.5" lift kit, primarily for street use, who should I go with?
Where do I order rear shock pegs? (mine are bent and need new brackets re welded)
I need front hubs (someone said WARN)?
rotors, and brake components all seem rusty.. what is a good replacement?
all of the rubber is dryrotted.. someone said urethane. Is this the right choice?

Should I powder coat the frame, or is POR a better route?

What I don't know could fill a book.. What else am I missing to get the frame ready for the body to be mounted?

Thanks in advance to the community for the help. I am typing this with a sweet 50th anniversary shirt I picked up from one of the members.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I have been tearing down the 76 bronco, and just about have it to the frame (axles off, brake lines off,). I am a rookie to restorations, and am subbing out the big stuff (engine rebuild, body work), but look forward to some of the simple stuff. Could use some direction on where to source things. Please assume freight is not an issue:

Where would you get:

23 Gal EFI gas tank I like the sherman tank made by BC but other vendors sell the tank as well, I bought mine from Bronco Graveyard this past winter and saved over $100 with the winter special
What else do you need? Lines, pump?I fabricated my own lines, you can see in my build thread towards the last 2 or 3 pages, I used the BC line clamps and went from there.
brake lines (can you get the entire truck's lines in a kit)IMHO the kits suck, you still have to bend and form them as well as many of them add extra connections in the system which leads to a potential for leaks etc. Again reference my build and see the tools I bought to do the job. Very happy with the results.
Stainless bolt kit for the whole rig? Some vendors have them but it is cheaper to shop the bolts by the box online, granted you will have leftovers but it still works out cheaper.
3.5" lift kit, primarily for street use, who should I go with?General consensus is WH 2.5" or 3" premium kit with Bilstein shocks for street use. It is highly recommended to do a WH 1" body lift and run the 2.5" suspension lift for best overall geometry and ease of a true bolt on system. The 3" lift is pushing the limits of the stock radius arms etc to get proper caster.
Where do I order rear shock pegs? (mine are bent and need new brackets re welded)Most vendors have them, Bronco Graveyard carries them as well. Become a contributor and post some pics, the rear shock mounts actually have a bit of an angle to them and are not easily bent... Yours could be fine but pictures will tell.
I need front hubs (someone said WARN)? Shop around, Oriellys, Rock Auto etc you can find good deals. Also do not rule out eBay, just make sure you read the descriptions...
rotors, and brake components all seem rusty.. what is a good replacement? Pics. pics, pics... Not sure what you have, disk front, drum rear etc? Is it factory or aftermarket? Factory is best if you have it... local parts store works well for that sort of thing.
all of the rubber is dryrotted.. someone said urethane. Is this the right choice?I like urethane but it firms the handling and suspension up, making some want the original style rubber as it does not transfer road noise as bad as urethane but again, this is to go for what you are wanting for a finished product.

Should I powder coat the frame, or is POR a better route?I prefer powder coating vs POR. POR is great but if you have a powder coating facility nearby, the results are way batter...

What I don't know could fill a book.. What else am I missing to get the frame ready for the body to be mounted?

Thanks in advance to the community for the help. I am typing this with a sweet 50th anniversary shirt I picked up from one of the members.
First thing is welcome to the site and congrats on your endeavor. Now what are you planning to build, is it going to be a restomod, or are you going back factory original or somewhere in between. The reason I ask is what are your expectations when complete as there are several ways to skin this cat but each will yield a different caliber of finish. From what I have seen, powder coating the frame in a satin black gives the best appearance. But you also have to decide what you are going to do with the suspension as some lifts may require welding etc. and that you want all done and test fit prior to powder coating. Just to give you a rough idea, you can take a look at my build thread in my sig. and see what it takes. I have subbed very little out and am doing most things myself. I am 2 years into it today in fact and have a ways to go still. If you have planned some time for the build, it is always best to buy parts when the holiday season is upon us as the vendors usually offer discounts, reduced or free shipping etc. Anything we can goto save a few dollars we do...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blue42

Thanks for the quick response.. like I said I don't know that much about it. I had a blast this weekend taking it apart..

The "basketcase"
20151221_085229.jpg

in process frame break down
IMG_2871.jpg

pegs in question

IMG_2896.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Your shock mounts are fine, they are shaped like that from the factory. Get the body mounts off, sometimes the frame is a bit rotted where the rubber bushings trapped water. If they are pitted some they would be ok, if they are pitted a lot or the metal is real thin, bronco graveyard has frame repair washers, you just cut the rot out and weld a new piece in. DO NOT WELD ON TOP OF THE ROT! I have seen where guys have welded a plate on top of the frame thinking a 1/16" won't hurt things but it does come reassembly, knocks doors out of alignment etc. How does your tub look on the inside?