• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Buying a 69 bronco with a straight 6, he’s giving me a 302 as well, should I convert?

Tsalv1984

I’m buying a 69 bronco today that has a good running straight 6 in it, he’s also giving me a 302 motor but just the engine. Should I convert it, and if so how big of a job is that? Or how much lower value is it just to keep the original straight 6 in it. Thanks for the input this is my first old
Bronco

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
Depends on what it looks like now if it is still real original/ paint and uncut with original interior then I would conceder leaving it a 6cyl.But if it is heavily modified then the v8 is a way better choice for drive ability. This is just my opinion we need pictures.

bmbm

6 or 8

You have to cut off motor towers from frame and weld on v8 parts, cut out the core support for a v8 radiator, replace with a v8 trans, shorten / lengthen drivelines, that may be most of it. Will not improve your highway driving experience because you will still have the low six cylinder axle ratios so still revving high at 55 mph. So replace the gears front and back for maybe $1000?

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
ford man gave the answer that I would give. The six is pretty stout and there are a lot of things that will need to be done to get the V8 in as bmbm stated. So it does come down to how original it is and what you plans are overall.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does the 6 run now? How do you plan on using the Bronco? Drive it the way it is now & you will know which way to go after a while. Use the search on this site to find the projects you think you may want to do & then you can plan better to get the end result you really want.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Will not improve your highway driving experience because you will still have the low six cylinder axle ratios

LOL, I don't know about you, but I like being able to drive faster than 58 miles an hour on the freeway. The V8 will help immensely with freeway driving even with the stock 4.11 six cylinder gears. Especially if running larger than stock tires.

AZ69EB

6 cylinder’s have good torque. Plus, there’s plenty of room to add a turbo and efi to get the horsepower into the V8 range.

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
Lol, a thread with a correct answer every post. It really depends on what you are going to do with it. Flip it as is or keep it and drive it? It takes a whole website to contain all the ways an Early Bronco can be. More options than a New Bronco...

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I swapped a 351w and a top loader 4spd into the 66. Stock driveshafts were fine. Gears were fine with 33s

SteveMa74

Contributor
I’ve never looked back after going from a six to my 302. With my old 6, three speed, and 4.56’s I couldn’t get much more than 60mph on the freeway, and that was at high rpms. Maybe that old six was just shot, but I never wanted to invest in it. 302 and NV3550 are awesome combo.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Let's have a look at what you have. Pictures?

I agree, if it is mostly original still, I'd certainly keep the straight 6. The 200 can be built to have the power of a stock 302 easily. Plus, Broncos are becoming even more rare to have the I6.

My next build plans are to have a 66 Bronco with an Inline 250.