• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C-4 transmission adaptor, seal? Or leak.

th3fourn

Not a mechanic trying to be
Hey guys,

So I assembled my C4 transmission on my 74 bronco. I attached the adaptor and then the transfer case. When it was connected I filled it up with transmission fluid and there is a leak from the rear of the transmission right around where the adapter connects. No leak from the pan, just the rear. I’m wondering if I am missing a seal or something in between the adaptor and C4. I’m looking online and I’m seeing a metal ring that I do not have. Mine didn’t have one when I bought it but I had the transmission rebuilt and confused as to why it’s leaking. Haven’t even ran it yet and there’s a substantial leak.
On this website https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/66-77...REpgkTM5iW2vx8_-PeCg8Ful_aTSEvYRoCrxIQAvD_BwE

I see the metal ring and a seal,I don’t have either of these and wondering if that’s causing the leak. Any help is appreciated

Brett

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The seal you're missing keeps the fluids for the D20 and the C4 in and separated. You need both the seal and the metal ring as well as the O ring pictured in the link. The seal is hard to find local. All the venders sell them.

Tim

OP
OP
T

th3fourn

The seal you're missing keeps the fluids for the D20 and the C4 in and separated. You need both the seal and the metal ring as well as the O ring pictured in the link. The seal is hard to find local. All the venders sell them.

Tim
Got it, so weird that when I bought the bronco they didn't have it. Do you know any schematics or pictures of how these are assembled? Im guessing metal ring then seal?

Thanks for the help

Brett

OP
OP
T

th3fourn

44D2AA3E-98A4-4137-B4A8-58B8D4243A40.jpeg
So I figured it out, to start off I’m an idiot haha
We didn’t put the gasket in between the transmission and adapter, hence the leak

Attachments

• 42ADB0F6-2452-4F97-ABAD-60526FD20F69.jpeg
    42ADB0F6-2452-4F97-ABAD-60526FD20F69.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 22