• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 question - accidentally shifting into 1st

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Just to be short...

I accidentally shifted my C4 transmission into 1st from 2nd while going ~45. As the engine loaded/rev'd I quickly shifted back into 2nd and into Drive.

The truck felt like it went into a false neutral and the engine would rev without driving the wheels. I shifted back into 2nd, and into Drive again, let the revs drop and the transmission engaged and on I went.

The truck drove fine the rest of the way home, and I didn't smell any burnt transmission fluid.

So what happened? Did I fry a clutch and cause it to slip before it eventually 'grabbed'? Should I adjust my clutch bands?

Anyway, I'm just going to drive and not worry about things. I'll eventually forget this incident, and when the C4 dies early I'll be wondering why. :)

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Unless the C4 has some mods or something wrong, it won't downshift into 1st gear unless you are below a certain speed, I'm thinking 25-30 mph. That's built in to keep from damaging the transmission. You should be fine.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Drive it. You should be fine. Going into reverse at 45 is way worse.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You can't hurt the fluid in one shift.
If it drives fine now, you didn't hurt anything.
Your neutral was probably the valve body confused from your erratic shifting and taking a moment to charge or bleed pressure off some of the valves before it settled into picking a gear.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would imagine that the governor works the valve body to kick it in neutral so you don't hurt anything...