• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 tranny cooked?

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
I was out wheelin in the sand (pretty high rpm's) After I was done the truck wont shift correctly in drive. I can manually pull it into 1st and 2nd but all 3 (D) does is stay in first. I use a cooler, the fluid never got above 150 deg, and is not burnt. So is she cooked or am I starting the 700R conversion?

74bronc

Bronco Guru
If you kept your eye on the temp and it didn't heat up, then I doubt you did any serious damage. Most likely you forked up your shift modulator. Could also be something in the valve body. If you have all gears and it doesn't shift, I doubt you grenaded anything inside, but that is possible too. The first step would be to check the modulator and make sure you still have a good vac source on it. Then replace it if that doesnt work and then pull the pan and valve body.

badbronco

Loc.
south carolina...
well i had a c-4 with a stuck govenor and it caused this. i was told to drive it about 10mph and throw it in park. It will make a clicking sound but does not hurt it. The parking prarl is right next to the govenor. The clicking sound vibrates the govenor and will it free. I know this sounds crazy but i even had to do it my rebuilt C-4.

OP
OP
Cavalry

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
[quote author=badbronco link=board=5;threadid=9342;start=0#67018 date=1032644669]<br>. i was told to drive it about 10mph and throw it in park. It will make a clicking sound but does not hurt it. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Yikes that sounds like something I dont think I will do....What keeps the pawl from snaping?