• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Calling all Coilover Gurus

Hinmaton

Coilover folks:
I’m struggling with fitment of my remote reservoirs due to the perpendicular hose alignment and the fact that the hose is not very flexible. It either stuffs the hose into the tire or into the sheet metal.
Can I run my Coilovers upside down? This would send the RR onto the top of the axle, which seems like a great place for it?
Or-
Can I add a 90 degree fitting without having to rebuild so I can rebleed the small amount of oil lost?
2bb66b2e60fe8f0d4c4e8bf6a470a418.jpg

dec612ee62aa611a2e629985e562b2dc.jpg

978837e8564f18338d3b87e77bca3953.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
You can run them upside down no problem. Only issue I see is good chance of getting the hose ripped off the shock. You can get 90 elbows out of the shock body.

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

You can run them upside down no problem. Only issue I see is good chance of getting the hose ripped off the shock. You can get 90 elbows out of the shock body.

Any idea if you can swap the fitting without going through full rebuild/bleed procedure?

Hh

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You should be able to release the nitrogen pressure in the remote rezzy, remove the fittings at the body noting that the hose should slope down from the shock body so that you don't lose much if any oil, change the fitting, and reattach the hose. Fill with nitrogen and you should be ready to rock and roll.

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

You should be able to release the nitrogen pressure in the remote rezzy, remove the fittings at the body noting that the hose should slope down from the shock body so that you don't lose much if any oil, change the fitting, and reattach the hose. Fill with nitrogen and you should be ready to rock and roll.

Fantastic!
Because this isn’t going to work:
05a53c44b1984c0d19e43e86030e1238.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Could you turn the shock 180° (rotation, not flipping) and modify the inner sheet metal slightly to clear the hose?
Might be able to mount the reservoir to the front of the hoop.

Not sure it would work, but with all the obviously modified bits and pieces already present, doing a little more damage would not be a big deal.
As long as it would work of course!

Paul

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

Could you turn the shock 180° (rotation, not flipping) and modify the inner sheet metal slightly to clear the hose?
Might be able to mount the reservoir to the front of the hoop.

Not sure it would work, but with all the obviously modified bits and pieces already present, doing a little more damage would not be a big deal.
As long as it would work of course!

Paul

I was hoping that a second fender well making the opening flush with the frame would be sufficient. As it is, the backside of the shock body is touching or nearly touching the sheet metal. The problem is the hose is so stiff that it protrudes from the body by nearly 2.5” as it radius’s around and out of the way.
I did check the tire clearance and it doesn’t hit, but it’s close.
I wrapped the reservoir around the other way (towards the driver) and it clears quite well. Well enough anyway.
a2532b922a199073a0dc16d0aabddde0.jpg

I think that will work?

Hinmaton