• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can anyone explain how to remove these intake bolts

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Bought this engine with this EFI manifold installed. Removing it and going back to a carburetor.

Four of the eight bolts are allen heads. I have no idea how these were torqued down or how to remove them. The install angle of the bolts coupled with the design of the manifold leaves no room to get an allen wrench or socket head on them.

How am I supposed to remove these?

Attachments

• 20231028_142538.jpg
    20231028_142538.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20231028_142556.jpg
    20231028_142556.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ball socket allen
The end of the allen is rounded into a ball so it will fit the socket at an odd angle.

If that doesn't work, drop a 1/4" nut over the top and plug weld it, use a regular wrench.

walker_creek

Just be careful with the ball end wrenches...there's not a lot of grip area and they tend to strip.
Another option might be to get some allen head sockets and then use a combination of swivels, breakover bar, etc.....

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Thanks for the replies. As I was impatient waiting for responses, I was able to get two of them out with an allen wrench after removing the throttle body and using a the longest allen wrench I had. The other two would only come out with needle nose vice grips.

I'll need to look into the ball allen socket.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ball socket allen
The end of the allen is rounded into a ball so it will fit the socket at an odd angle.

If that doesn't work, drop a 1/4" nut over the top and plug weld it, use a regular wrench.
AKA, Bondhus, i think they had the patent, until every mechanic ground down their own.