• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

City Bronco build - '68 Sport

DC_Gearhead

First I want to clarify my title. I am a small town guy that now lives right downtown Washington DC. The problem is I can't shake the hillbilly small town, old cars in the yard, camping, personality. Graduating class in high school had 12 people. Closest stop light was over an hour away along with the grocery store. Now I live on Capitol Hill in DC. It was really a culture shock. When we moved in my only non negotiable requirement was to have a shop/garage. You can't imagine how has it was to find one. City folks don't work on their cars. Bingo..We found a house with what is called a carriage house. It's 2 stories. I lucked out. The ultimate man cave but it isn't big. BUT it is big enough for a Bronco and my tools.

I'm a pretty mechanical person. I can figure out most things. And I have never taken my car to be worked on in a shop other than warranty stuff. That being said I'm going to do everything on my Bronco. I have pretty much every basic tool including a plasma cutter and MIG and I spent the last couple of months prepping my shop for the Bronco.

I am currently on a plane to Kansas City where I am meeting the transporter that is picking up the Bronco. I'm excited as hell. Like a little kid.

I had another thread on here that has the back story on the Bronco, but the short story is: my uncle is a farmer outside of KC. He has a barn full of old classics. I've been asking if he wanted to sell this bronco for years. It has been sitting in the barn for around 20 years. Recently he was diagnosed with bone cancer and realized he won't be fixing up the Bronco. Last time I was there visiting him he said "so when are you coming to get it?" I knew what he was saying but played dumb with a big smirk. Anyways that was in November. I wanted to get my shop ready and setup. Now I'm ready.

I don't know much about the Bronco, but I do know it is a 68 and it has a 351w in it. Each time I have looked at it I didn't really know what I was looking for. Today that all changes.....a little. I still don't know what I am looking at but it will be in my shop and I have this forum to ask questions.

Below are the pics I took a couple of years ago.

4ea827de00f2de1768aadcabb16a61a3.jpg

639f36388cd6591224a6f7b6ef5b2667.jpg

Here is the 1st floor of the shop.

d99a1653cedbb54b93d187b3b6a51bb5.jpg

240ff9f2fbb54023fbe34c1964a39bc5.jpg

I'm looking forward to feedback and suggestions.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome to KC man, hope you have a safe trip. I'm south of the airport bout 45 minutes

Attac

Contributor
DC_ give Adam (Golfobx) a shout. He lives in Va bch area, not too far from ya. Anyway check his Bronco out. He just finished it and can prob help you with any questions you have and prob can meet up with ya if need be.

I lived in Falls Church early 90s when I was in the Honor Guard at Ft Myers. I came there from small town also. Was a nice area but traffic sucks. Had to learn what roads are one way at what time lol.
Good luck with your build.
Chuck

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

DC_ give Adam (Golfobx) a shout. He lives in Va bch area, not too far from ya. Anyway check his Bronco out. He just finished it and can prob help you with any questions you have and prob can meet up with ya if need be.

I lived in Falls Church early 90s when I was in the Honor Guard at Ft Myers. I came there from small town also. Was a nice area but traffic sucks. Had to learn what roads are one way at what time lol.
Good luck with your build.
Chuck

Cool. I'll shoot him a PM. Sounds like a cool guy.

The one way roads that switch on you are such a PITA. I'm lucky my commute is only 10 min. Falls Church is actually one of the fastest growing areas in DC now.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

The bronco made it to DC. I went to a tractor pull last night in Nebraska before my flight out of DC. Family didn't tell me we would get home 1 hour before I had to leave for the airport in Kansas City. Haven't slept much, but the Bronco was delivered to my House in DC. It is now in my garage. I am a happy man and I will sleep very good tonight. I cleaned it up and pulled the spark plugs, wires, and drained the oils before I ran out of energy from no sleep.

I have more bodywork than I thought, but the engine and mechanics are in a lot better shape than expected. I'll post more soon.

Pics in my garage.

fe7d26720274d5a6fcb00c8b131dafc2.jpg

e6d8dd2cbb1f8427e9830acf2d6135cf.jpg

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Glad it made it to its new home. I'll be watching the build. Best wishes to you on the project and to your uncle as well.

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
awesome story man. got lucky to find a man cave in DC. with that said, it looks tight in there.

I built a car in a tight space a few years back and i would recommend getting some wheel dollies from harbor freight. Even with wheels off you can put plate steel on the dollies and be able to move the thing around. was very helpful working around the project. good luck!

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

awesome story man. got lucky to find a man cave in DC. with that said, it looks tight in there.

I built a car in a tight space a few years back and i would recommend getting some wheel dollies from harbor freight. Even with wheels off you can put plate steel on the dollies and be able to move the thing around. was very helpful working around the project. good luck!

It is snug for sure. I have about 6' working area beside and 5' in front. It will do fine if I keep my stuff organized and off the floor. I am getting dollies for sure. It will give me a little more flexibility.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

Glad it made it to its new home. I'll be watching the build. Best wishes to you on the project and to your uncle as well.

Thanks!! The build should be good..you can learn from my mistakes!!! Haha. Typically I'm good for some dumb questions and using tools too big for the job....can't get that bolt loose? I'll just grab the plasma cutter!! Haha.

Attac

Contributor
Thanks!! The build should be good..you can learn from my mistakes!!! Haha. Typically I'm good for some dumb questions and using tools too big for the job....can't get that bolt loose? I'll just grab the plasma cutter!! Haha.

Umm isn't that what a plasma cutter is for.:cool:.

You will be driving it down to the mall on sunday's soon. (Not a shopping mall for those who dont know DC area)
Chuck

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

You will be driving it down to the mall on sunday's soon. (Not a shopping mall for those who dont know DC area)

Chuck

I'm looking forward to Cars and Coffee on Saturdays at Great Falls. A bunch of classics show up to talk cars.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

Below is a pic of my VIN plate from the glove box. I'm not sure how to decode it. There must be a learning curve. I've also attached other plates

7c793d0e81f7c1f09bff1f6036674b08.jpg

Dana 20

2e95f33d8d405386a4753220a70eac9a.jpg

bd9f933b709a188bfde1f5bb27413db5.jpg

Holley

a724fc0047430ece7460bc917cfa81de.jpg

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
It is new enough to get a Marti report on it.

The guy that started the company got Fords old production records that were going to be thrown away but only for 1967 to 2007.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

It is new enough to get a Marti report on it.

The guy that started the company got Fords old production records that were going to be thrown away but only for 1967 to 2007.

Good idea. I'll get one. Looks like they give you all kinds of cool info in those reports.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

Today I dropped the tank and dumped muriatic acid in it. I did the 20min per side swish around and dumped it. Sure looks good inside now. And it turns out the tank is actually a new one installed before he stored it.

I also replaced the oil, antifreeze, fuel lines, and spark plugs/wires. I ordered a new j bolt (since I broke mine), filler hose, and vent hose.

Here is the crap that was in the tank
d6be59ed2e8b49cda1ff6028fb55f00c.jpg

Acid washing now

f9177e5da7561d27d4a1e2d529c9e6ee.jpg