• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Closest to Stock Tires??

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'm powder coating my stock 5.5x15 rims and replacing the tires that were on my bronco. I went to belltire today to get an estimate and they said a 215/70/15 would work but I'm concerned those might be to wide (8.5") to clear the uncut quarters. I found some 205/75/15 for a good price on tire rack, just wondering if those would be better? My main driving will be light offroad/two track and highway surfaces. I was thinking thse firestones would do the trick! http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ESTATOWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes let me know what you guys think?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Another vote for the skinnies! I like the powerking look, but they do not handle anything like a radial on the highway. How much highway driving will you do? Mine doesn't get enough miles driven on the highway to matter.

DSC00377_zpsx3bi8qsm.jpg

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Those Power King Bias Ply tires will beat the crap out of you on the highway and they flat spot overnight, giving a lumpy ride at start off in the morning.
They look cool and look original but I had to almost give a set away!! Just saying!!!%)%)%)

bteutsch

The Power Kings are cool, I've had two sets, just be aware they changed the labeling on the sidewall to EXTRA TRACTION instead of SUPER TRACTION, and the Tread with is now 5 inches wide instead of 7 inches as before. I was a little bit upset when I bought 4 new tires to match my spare and they don't match anymore. But for 75$ a tire I'm just going to wear these out and either go with a DEESTONE tire 7:00-15 next time or maybe the Buckshot Mudders that are being reproduced or possibly a radial. I like the Skinny look.

These are the closest to actual factory size L-78 https://www.universaltire.com/truck-and-military/truck/l78-15-sta-super-traxion.html

235-75-15 is closest radial size to factory.

Last edited:

fordrowcrop

Loc.
Greencastle, IN
I have had 2 sets of the STA Super Traxion tires, the ride was not bad at all and they are made in the USA. Depending on year they also have a STA Super Traxion 7.00x15 that may be the correct size for your Bronco.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
When you say stock, it's nearly impossible to know what you mean. It's not you, but the common misuse of the word stock on this sight. Many think any stamped steel, paint-able wheel is stock. The '68 Bronco had three choices, a 735x15 on 5" or 5.5" wide wheels or a 6.50x16 tire on 5" wide wheels. In '70 8.25X15 tires were offered. In '73 Ford offered these plus E,G,and L78x15 tires. If tires that were eventually offered on EBs can be called "stock", 235rX15 would be the largest tire you can buy now. If you want to keep it "stock" for a '68, the equivalent to 7.35X15 is as close as you can get. Two of the Broncos I bought new had the L78X15 or 235rX15s from the factory. These are taller and wider than 205X75s and have plenty of room with stock wheel wells.

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
When you say stock, it's nearly impossible to know what you mean. It's not you, but the common misuse of the word stock on this sight. Many think any stamped steel, paint-able wheel is stock. The '68 Bronco had three choices, a 735x15 on 5" or 5.5" wide wheels or a 6.50x16 tire on 5" wide wheels. In '70 8.25X15 tires were offered. In '73 Ford offered these plus E,G,and L78x15 tires. If tires that were eventually offered on EBs can be called "stock", 235rX15 would be the largest tire you can buy now. If you want to keep it "stock" for a '68, the equivalent to 7.35X15 is as close as you can get. Two of the Broncos I bought new had the L78X15 or 235rX15s from the factory. These are taller and wider than 205X75s and have plenty of room with stock wheel wells.

ok good to know! Thank you!

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The Power Kings are cool, I've had two sets, just be aware they changed the labeling on the sidewall to EXTRA TRACTION instead of SUPER TRACTION, and the Tread with is now 5 inches wide instead of 7 inches as before. I was a little bit upset when I bought 4 new tires to match my spare and they don't match anymore. But for 75$ a tire I'm just going to wear these out and either go with a DEESTONE tire 7:00-15 next time or maybe the Buckshot Mudders that are being reproduced or possibly a radial. I like the Skinny look.

These are the closest to actual factory size L-78 https://www.universaltire.com/truck-and-military/truck/l78-15-sta-super-traxion.html

235-75-15 is closest radial size to factory.

$180 :eek: whoa!!!

bteutsch

They are probably cheaper other places, but they are proud of those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bteutsch

I have a Marti Report that shows my tire size as 9.15x15-4
5ff12aebaf7ea2f5252ebc4e13fcf375.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jckkys

Bronco Guru
How does 9.15X15 translate into current tire size. It sounds big but it must have worked with 5.5X15 wheels and stock wheel wells. There was a lady named Lois Emminger who had the original window stickers for all Fords made in the '60s and '70s. With my 1970 428 CJ ram air Cougar Eliminator it was a real selling feature. Too bad we can't do that.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Back in the day, I use to run N78x15 (9.7x 15) Armstrong Traction Grips on my stock 5.5 steel rims. D ply rating. Stiff sidewall. Could take a direct nuclear hit and keep going. But here is the main point. They were a full 30.5 inches in diameter. So-called 9.50x30s barely make it to 29.5 on a 5.5 rim. Man, I miss those tires. The first time I put radials on I was shocked at how squirrely they were compared to the stiff side-walled bias ply tire. They looked like the traction tires in the original ads but noticeably taller. Of course these days I would put the whitewalls inside. But they were good, and they tracked beautifully.

Attachments

• N78x15s.jpg
    N78x15s.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 58