• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Color change thoughts

Bronco-Brian

Contributor
Loc.
Lake Oswego, OR
Got a 1973 uncut Bronco originally Bahama Blue with the chrome side trim. Currently doing a complete frame up coyote build, and pose the following to seek others thoughts:

Retain factory color Bahama Blue, or change?

My first thought was to change to Raven Black since the body is so very straight and a good candidate for black. It will be show quality paint either way I go. If not black, what would be your choice of best color staying with the chrome side trim?

Thanks for any comments you'd like to share. (Pics are just reference for quick comparison)

Attachments

• Presentation2.jpg
    Presentation2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 34

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
My initial reaction - you made the decision to restomod it. That gives you complete freedom to do what you’d like with the color. If you were restoring it and wanted correctness, I’d steer you towards the factory color.

With that behind me, the darker the color, the better the body has to be. Shooting a gloss black will require near perfect body lines and panels or it’ll look terrible. Red and lighter colors are more forgiving of anything less than perfect bodywork.

Last edited:

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
This is again another personal preference thing. You aren’t doing a restoration to it so who cares what the data tag says for paint code. Paint it whatever colour you want. I’m changing the colour of mine to light jade. My choice. Just remember the darker the colour the better the body work needs to be and the more it will show swirls and scratches in the future. I have a customer that loves black cars. I have to keep microfibre towels to put on his fenders under my fender covers or I’ll leave a ton of micro scratches and swirls. Every other car I work on I can put my fender covers directly on the fender and you can’t see anything.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’m changing the colour of mine to light jade. My choice. Just remember the darker the colour the better the body work needs to be and the more it will show swirls and scratches in the future.
I’m chuckling inside myself reading your post. My ‘77 was “Born” with Light Jade and I’m just not fond of it. I’m completely repainting since it’s pretty much stripped down to a tub on a frame and easy to get to everything except some of the engine bay.
Got to fix a paint booth and get started on that job as the body shop owner said if I was changing the color, it is best to paint the paint the parts ahead of installation. What a PITA!

Randy

BruiserOutdoors

i'd recommend staying stock to retain originality, especially for resale purposes. would love to see what it looks like now