• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Color Code

fabieber

According to the build placard my truck is Color Code R. As I look at Ditzler and other color palettes, I can find the Sequoia (R) for main body color but can't determine what the "parchment or creamy" color is on the top.

OP
OP
F

fabieber

Kinda forgot to ask a question..........anyone know how I can determine the actual color name of the whitish color that's on the top?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Let me add to your question.. I sold DuPoint paint at my Parts store from 1967 until 1995 when I got Shenanigan'ed out of my store... By the warehouse I was doing business with..
Cheaters... .. But basically no 2 paint companies called their color with the same names.. Even Ford might call it Wimbleton White But Ditzler used another name..
& I believe the reason for the different name were...
If Ford called it Wimbleton White. ... & the bought the paint from DuPoint then DuPoint called it Wimbleton white ..
But the other companies were not allowed to use Fords name .. ..
SO Say you go into A store that Sold Sherwin Williams paint .. Napa's supplier .. Their name might be Eggshell white.
But every companies paint was ''SUPPOSED'' to match. But not all worked to as high a standard.
& Another situation..DuPoint Might not have the total Contract for supplying all the paint to all the mfg plants For some colors.
& Mid year color, Only being offered from one MFG PLANT .& SAY FORD WAS MFG IN Los Angeles & LET'S SAY the Sherwin Williams mfg plant was in L.A. SO that one special color might have been offered In L.A. & THEN DuPoint had to find another name for their color when they produce a formula..
& Some Odd one time use colors Were never had a formula produced for that one color by all Paint MFG'S.
..... HINCE I had a 1961 Chevy Bubble top 2 door.. It was Black Pearl MET.. 1961 CHEVY WERE painted with Dupoint paint. & DuPoint never even acknowledged this color. I only found this color in an old Napa/ Sherwin Williams book. Not Ditzler not Acme. & noone else I ever found . I did not even have a formula for my own car..
The Napa man really gave me a fit that I'd have to come to him when I wrecked my car.
I told my Guys I'd hand mix that color 40 times before I'd put his paint on my car..

Last edited:

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
& Just for the record as I remember I think all the whites on our Broncos were Wimbledon ..
my DuPoint part number was 4775...

OP
OP
F

fabieber

Wow! Thank you for the background and the answer to the top color. With all the info, if the Ditzler chip says the bottom color (code R) is
Sequoia, will my local automotive paint store be able to use that Sequoia name to determine the formula?