• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ididit wiring color code?

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m helping someone on their Bronco converting it from a manual to an AOD. It had an aftermarket column with some kind aftermarket harness with aftermarket gauges not in any stock position. Needless to say a real mess!

Anyways the aftermarket column had a flat GM style connector so to make me task simpler I like to splice into the GM connector. But I need the color code for the ididit. I have the pin out for the GM connector but no info on the ididit column. Any help would be great!

Thanks Jeff

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The wiring is from the turn signal switch. So any wiring schematics you have for a GM turn signal switch are going to give you what you need.
There’s nothing Ididit specific to the column wiring. I could be wrong, but I think they use a mid 70s passenger car, such as Camaro Firebird, turn signal switch. Could be wrong about that, but that’ll get you close.

Sorry if that was not what you were asking.

Last edited:

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
DirtDonk is correct, their switches are GM switches. I used a 70 C10 diagram to wire mine, they also have a youtube video on the ididit channel that will tell you how to connect each wire from the column.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys for getting back to me. The problem I’m having is the new Ididit column doesn’t have a plug end on the column harness but they shipped a 10 pin box style connector(s) both male and female. My existing dash harness has the GM flat style connector. So for the dash harness it matches the drawing but Ididit column info has nothing on which colored wire does which function like stated on the GM schematic.

I looked on YouTube for the Ididit but couldn’t find exactly what I’m looking for. Also many of them say its like a GM switch but looking at the actual switch it looks like a mid 70’s Ford turn signal switch.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear with my question earlier and thanks again for the help! Jeff

Looks like my contributor status expired so once I renew it I’ll post the pictures.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What colors are the wires? And is the column in the “direct fit“ line of products?
If so, then it is a mid 70s Ford switch. But the wire colors will be the ultimate decider I think.

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Can you post a picture of the switch? If it came with the rectangular connector, thats the GM style connector. A picture would help to make sure we're talking about the same switch.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The problem I’m having is the new Ididit column doesn’t have a plug end on the column harness but they shipped a 10 pin box style connector(s) both male and female.
Sure sounds like the Ford version.
Generally speaking, any column supplied with the GM style switch always comes with the same GM style connector you have already. At least all the ones I've seen.

If they went with a Ford turn signal switch in yours, you'll see stripes/traces on most of the wires. All GM harnesses that I'm familiar with are simply solid colors with no stripes.
So if you have for example, Blue w/yellow stripe, or Green w/yellow or Yellow w/green, or something like that, you have Ford colors and will need to go down the lists printed to show the conversions from one to the other.
As well, if you list every color we can help decode them.

Paul

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry guys for not responding! Work has had me running and I haven’t had a chance to go back in the garage and snap a few pictures. I’ll get to that tomorrow and post them up. Thanks for the help and sorry for the delay!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No worries! Probably a lot of us are in the same boat. Just hurry up!

No pressure though… :)😉

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No worries! Probably a lot of us are in the same boat. Just hurry up!

No pressure though… :)😉
Haha… yeah I know “join the club” right? 😉😂

Honestly I can’t find the link to become a contributor so I can post pics. Can some help out this technological inept EB owner? 😂

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I’m not mistaken it’s in the top sticky part of the chat section. Called something like “how to post pictures“ or something like that.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I’m not mistaken it’s in the top sticky part of the chat section. Called something like “how to post pictures“ or something like that.
Yep just where you said it would be! You know reading is a wonderful thing… I’m as bad as my kids! 😂

Here is the pics

Attachments

• DD0E42A9-C6D1-4131-8597-83689C910122.jpeg
    DD0E42A9-C6D1-4131-8597-83689C910122.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 52634931-8CA4-40C2-9A0A-B139E8AE66FC.jpeg
    52634931-8CA4-40C2-9A0A-B139E8AE66FC.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 11

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like Ford all the way to me.
Instead of stripes some of the wires have hashmarks, but it’s the same concept.
74 and later model with the integrated hazard switch and single horn contact.
Which means you must use a horn relay, which the new harness probably has.

Also no lightbulb, so probably from a manual transmission vehicle.

Now to drill down the wires and their functions…

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now we can just hope that your switch isn’t any more inconsistent and wire colors than some of the others have been over the past years.😩🙄

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok yesterday I did finally got a chance to finish up the column wiring. Got everything to work! Thanks guys for all your help! I know it took me a while to get on it and finish it. Now onto the rest of the punch list! 😉

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Glad it's working for ya

Last edited: