• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Comp roller cam 35-349-8 austempered ductile iron - what distributor gear?

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I ordered a new cam for an explorer 5.0 "Comp 35-349-8", and this is an efi specific cam.

I went to order a distributor and assumed I needed a forged steel gear like the factory roller Ford cams use.

But Comp shows these roller cams are made from "austempered ductile iron"

So does this mean a whole bunch of ford guys are gonna be chewing up their Comp cam gears with their factory forged distributor gears?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210722-103931_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210722-103931_Chrome.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did, the first guy was an ass and not helpful and gave me no confidence.

So looks like a "melodized ductile iron gear" is best, but the steel factory is OK". I went with the hardened iron.

"The core material is an austemper cast ductile iron. In simple terms, it's a dense iron cast into a core that goes through a heat treat process called austempering. This makes the material hard enough to run a roller lifter on it without damaging the cam core, but it is not as hard as a billet cam. This also makes the cam gear the same material and compatable with a cast iron gear or a factory roller distributor gear."

So us efi guys need to be aware comp efi cams are not billed steel like the factory fords.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I figured I didn't want to run a harder distributor gear than my cam even though they said it was OK and went with the melodized cast iron.
I would rather my distributor gear wear.

Figured I would post some new info for the already foggy cam gear info with a new roller cam steel out there now.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The other way around, Sig Erison mad their flat tapped cams from steel. You needed a steel dizzy gear. Very confusing. If it were mine, I’d call Comp Cams back. Maybe you’ll get better help. Lots of the tech help is working from home. It’s a mixed bag.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
According to them you can use either. Craziest thing I ever heard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210722-103216_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210722-103216_Chrome.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 11