• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coyote Engine & Transmission Contact

JRDTX

Gentlemen,

I'm needing to purchase a crate engine and transmission for my build and wondering if any of you have a point of contact I could lean on. Need to figure out exact part number of engine and additional components. also have questions on auto transmission. see a lot of 4R70W and 6R80 on here but roadster shop (chassis vendor) is recommending a GM transmission based on reliability. any help is appreciated. thank you in advance, definitely out of my wheelhouse.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Crate as in brand new? I would be looking at the Ford Motorsports catalog.
Crate as in rebuilt? Maybe aftermarket performance build? no clue.
Crate is in a used engine take out and crated up and shipped to you?
Since I see a Roadster Shop Chassis I am guessing a high end build with deep pockets, so the used options is probably out.

For that level of build, skip the 4R70W. The 6R80 and 10R80 would be the better choice. And they were co-developed with GM.

So at this point, what flavor of Coyote are you after? Plain Jane truck? Maybe Mustang? Want some RPM, there is the VooDoo. Some supercharged versions. That is just the factory builds, the same engines you get when you go to the Ford dealer and buy a new car.

Spaggyroe

Brand new, out of the box Coyote... you could call Scoggin Dickey.

I agree with Broncobowsher on the trans. I'd skip the 4R70W and go for the 6R80 or 10R80. I'm not sure why T.R.S. would consider a GM trans to be more reliable?

Good luck with the build.

OP
OP
J

JRDTX

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. Sorry, i meant crate as in brand new. Hadn't really given much thought to the configuration, just was trying to match what some of the larger volume high end builders were doing. seemed like this one but need someone with expertise to confirm before i make a poor decision

Thank you for Scoggin Dickey info. i will reach out.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Google Mars Automotive and you can get a low mileage 5.0 with 4x4 trans delivered to your door running on a crate

Jamie Chriss

Google Mars Automotive and you can get a low mileage 5.0 with 4x4 trans delivered to your door running on a crate
There is a great thread started years back on this subject, I am 6 years out from where you are today. There are so many variables to consider, I would first come up with a budget, then what is available for shipment this year. I have the 6R80 and feel it mates well with the Gen 2 Coyote. Most likely you will either go with the Gen 3 or a slightly used motor from a Mars type company. I would go with the HBH PCM it is much more programable than the Ford Motor Sport PCM. I posted much of my build on this site Floor Pans and Other Half Done.. and on Instagram early ford bronco 360

OP
OP
J

JRDTX

There is a great thread started years back on this subject, I am 6 years out from where you are today. There are so many variables to consider, I would first come up with a budget, then what is available for shipment this year. I have the 6R80 and feel it mates well with the Gen 2 Coyote. Most likely you will either go with the Gen 3 or a slightly used motor from a Mars type company. I would go with the HBH PCM it is much more programable than the Ford Motor Sport PCM. I posted much of my build on this site Floor Pans and Other Half Done.. and on Instagram early ford bronco 360

Thanks for the reply, Jamie. Went back and looked through your instagram build photos and very impressive! i think we're leaning new Gen3 and 6R80 based on comments here and some other info i've received. curious on the HBH PCM vs Ford Motor Sport PCM. Not familiar with "HBH" and did some googling and came up empty. can you point me in right direction? would you still recommend for this specific combo?

Jamie Chriss

They offer a PCM that is fully programable, Fords is locked down and offer very few modifications. If i had to do it again without doubt I would go that way.

U15FLG

Thanks for the reply, Jamie. Went back and looked through your instagram build photos and very impressive! i think we're leaning new Gen3 and 6R80 based on comments here and some other info i've received. curious on the HBH PCM vs Ford Motor Sport PCM. Not familiar with "HBH" and did some googling and came up empty. can you point me in right direction? would you still recommend for this specific combo?
maybe a type o...PBH - performance by the hour