• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cylinder Compression Am I Screwed

OP
OP
ruckin69

ruckin69

Contributor
Yeah it did sit and it suddenly showed up this summer. The next 2 items to look at are timing and a carb rebuild it's a 390 cfm 4 barrel if that matters. Here is a new video. The rattling was fixed be a washer shimming the radiator. Heres a new video with new plugs. Damn pully still is wobbling after a new balancer. Very frustrating.

https://youtu.be/OaR-ySuCzUI

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Maybe you can source a crank pulley from someone who has added power steering and/or A/C.
When does it stall? Whenever in gear, or when accelerating? I'm wondering about the health of the fuel suction lines and/or fuel pump.
You have a clear fuel filter that looks like it has a lot of bubbling.
A leak in the suction line may not leak fuel, but allow air in, breaking the fuel pump's prime.

OP
OP
ruckin69

ruckin69

Contributor
Maybe you can source a crank pulley from someone who has added power steering and/or A/C.

When does it stall? Whenever in gear, or when accelerating? I'm wondering about the health of the fuel suction lines and/or fuel pump.

You have a clear fuel filter that looks like it has a lot of bubbling.

A leak in the suction line may not leak fuel, but allow air in, breaking the fuel pump's prime.
It stalls when in gear and I let the gas off and driving. I was thinking it could also be the fuel pump too but how can I test it? It does come into the filter but I dont know how I can determine if its enough or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
It stalls when in gear and I let the gas off and driving. I was thinking it could also be the fuel pump too but how can I test it? It does come into the filter but I dont know how I can determine if its enough or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you've got an automotive vacuum gauge, they usually have a fuel pump pressure scale and a vacuum scale for fuel pumps as well.

Dirtroadjunkie

Sounds like it could be the the low speed idle jets= to a vehicle sitting and today's fuel. I'd spend my dollars on a new carb. Honesty todays fuels are non carb friendly. I swap fuels, start up weekly, and sourced E -Free fuel for all of my carb equipment.

OP
OP
ruckin69

ruckin69

Contributor
So I decided to give it to the mechanic and he found 2 things. Number one the fuel pump was going bad and number 2 when he bypassed the fuel tank switching valve it worked like a charm. SOOOO I'm off to get a valve and rehook it up to see if was the valve or not. He said and I confirm, the motor now runs like a top and I'm back on the road. Thanks all for your help troubleshooting this.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Do you still have that 95lb compression in no1.
I think you should but I just had to ask. I too have driven some old farm trucks with 30 to 40 lbs difference in some cylinders.
As it only takes 70lb to fire the plug . But a weak cyl. should give you a rough idle . I'd not expect to feel it in our Bricks. Maybe in mothers Lincoln But our rides have enough bounce ..
... Good luck

OP
OP
ruckin69

ruckin69

Contributor
... Do you still have that 95lb compression in no1.
I think you should but I just had to ask. I too have driven some old farm trucks with 30 to 40 lbs difference in some cylinders.
As it only takes 70lb to fire the plug . But a weak cyl. should give you a rough idle . I'd not expect to feel it in our Bricks. Maybe in mothers Lincoln But our rides have enough bounce ..
... Good luck

I have to retry it with oil in the cylinder but the mechanic was really impressed with how the motor runs and idles and I only drive this truck for joy rides on nice days so it will have alot of life left for me.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Yes if that's how you drive it ...
Then all I'd do Is enjoy it .
Glad the old Man Tech found a fixable issue for you.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, all good news. And if the engine has been sitting a long time at points, and only driven occasionally on others, and unknown in previous lives, it's very possible that the low compression cylinder will wake up a bit after more driving.
If it ever gets driven even semi-regularly it's likely the compression will improve unless the rings and/or valves are actually worn out from mileage.

Paul