• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 J-Shift question

giannetti

Loc.
Boynton Beach
So I have my J-shifter, but there are two things missing. 1: It's missing the 2 major bolts to bolt it to the transfer case. Not a big deal. 2: It looks like I'm missing some kind of linkage because there's nothing for me to connect the bottom of my J-shifter to the actual transfer case. Can someone who knows more about this please take a look at my pictures and tell me what I'm missing. Thank you so much for any and all help!!

Elio

http://s1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/giannetti1220/

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
there should be a hole in the bottom part of the shaft with a pin sticking out of it.

Then there should be a small spring with one end of it going around that pin and the other in the hole on the other part of it (visible in your pic of the j-shift)

Other than the two bolts and the end of the j-shift shaft itself, nothing else mounts to the t-case.

Simply stick that shaft into the hole created by the overlapping tangs on the t-case shift rails visible in the other pic.

OP
OP
G

giannetti

Loc.
Boynton Beach
So there's nothing missing from t-case itself then? Because there is a small hole at the bottom of the J-shift shaft, but I don't have a pin or a spring.

So, if there isn't anything missing from the t-case, then all I am missing are the 2 bolts, the pin, and a spring to go around the pin?

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
the one on ebay matches mine exactly

I have heard that there are several different versions of the j-shifter but I don't know with certainty

All I can tell you is that the one on ebay matches mine exactly (except I am missing the spring and pin). The other "bracket" is on mine too but it doesn't connect to the t-case.

It just so happens that I installed mine today so it is fresh in my mind.

If you don't buy it, I will.

;D

OP
OP
G

giannetti

Loc.
Boynton Beach
Thank you very much for the info. The one on ebay looks identical to mine as well, but it's hard for me to tell if it's the exact same one because mine doesn't have that other bracket, pin or spring, and because the angle he took he picture of his at is a different view than mine. Either way, I went ahead and bid on it, so hopefully I win it and it's the right one. I'll let you know how this all turns out. Thank you again.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Stop while you are ahead and twin stick it. The J-shift sucks and besides killing it with fire, a twin stick will do.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
to fix a sloppy j-shifter.................do like I did and have it sandblasted

those little beads get down in the ball / socket and tighten it up

downside, is that they lost my pin and spring for me

%)