• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 rear output known to fail?

Okie69

Contributor
Why hasn’t a single person ever talked about the stock Dana 20 output being prone to failure when wheeling?

Kidding… but I did learn first hand!

IMG_1270.jpeg IMG_1269.jpeg

I didn’t know exactly how bound up that pass rear was!
IMG_1272.jpeg IMG_1279.jpeg

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just out of curiosity do you ever flat tow your Bronco, that used to be one of the theories that caused them to weaken.

OP
OP
Okie69

Okie69

Contributor
That failure was earned lol.

I had some issues after you left today🤣

There will be more pics and description tomorrow during the repair in my build thread.
Ya know if I'm gonna do it might as well do it right.

Phew that looks like a heavy piece of steel you tore through there.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Flat towing could hurt the bearing. You didn't do that. Bearings look fine, the shaft twisted off.
This is just excessive torque failure. Yes, they are known for it. There are a couple different heavy duty output setups out there. I have not kept current of who makes what, and who sell stuff either.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Very common D20 failure when wheeling like you were doing on high traction and in high torque situations. All my local friends (when people here still wheeled Broncos) and myself all carried spare output shafts.

20 yrs back I started a mass buy with Chuck on 300M output shafts that were the same length/size as the stock one. They worked great. Just split cases and ripped teeth off the little D20's after that. :)

Gary Y came up with a great design that Wild Horses got from him that I believe they still sell today. Little bit longer but much better material and higher spline count. I haven't heard of anybody twisting one of them in half but I have a couple D20 output shafts hanging on my "grenaded parts display".

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
That failure was earned lol.

I had some issues after you left today🤣

There will be more pics and description tomorrow during the repair in my build thread.
Not sure what I’m looking at in the 2nd pic, but it don’t look too good.

Randy

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Not sure what I’m looking at in the 2nd pic, but it don’t look too good.

Randy
I see a front coil spring at the top of the picture. A starter motor and exhaust.
That pretty much dictates the angle the picture was taken from being the passenger side of the truck, forward of the front axle looking at the front axle.
Given what should be there, but isn't. Someone tore the track bar off the axle. With a coil sprung front axle, that would be known as the steering delete option.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The output failure was definitely just our unadulterated torque, it was well earned 😂

Yes I tore the track bar bracket off the axle. That sheared a bolt off the lower spring mount on the drivers side. A strap and winch line was able to limp back to camp.

Contributor
One of the reasons I put an NP205 in mine instead of the Dana 20.

OP
OP
Okie69

Okie69

Contributor
Looks like a was cruising towards a fuel leak anyway. 😬

Fuel cell or skid plate time I do believe.

IMG_1321.jpeg

Oh and the exhaust reroute that I’ve been putting off. IMG_1326.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1324.jpeg
    IMG_1324.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1325.jpeg
    IMG_1325.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 23

bax

Contributor
Old Member
What's to talk about? We all know about it. It's really about when. I dropped a rear drive shaft on the trail , It had both the sheared output shaft and the sheared 9'' pinion input still in the driveshaft. It was a fun time and it showed just how talented some of us are.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
That’s a big old ouchie! Sounded both expensive and time consuming to my ears.

Randy