• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 30 4.10 swap

jordan8801

Anyone have troubles installing Revolution gear 4.10 in a dana 30? I can't seem to get the backlash under .35, seems like there isn't enough space to shift gear to drivers side. The gear is marked 3.625 for depth, I know this is not from centerline. My original was stamped at 0 with a +3 so it should be a pinion height of 2.253 as a starting point. This gives me over 65 thou for backlash and pattern of toe to heel. Raising pinion height helps with pattern but still cant get backlash

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don’t know all the number details and specifications, but are you sure you’re installing the 4.10 set on a 4-series carrier?
You don’t happen to be using the carrier that was already in it that had a 3-series gear on it, are you?
Or did you get the extra thick 4.10 version?

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I am using the carrier from factory 3.50 . Can it be that simple of a fix?
Yes. As @DirtDonk says...you can't get there from here.

The carrier split on a D30 is at 3.54 / 3.73. And the difference in offset is .138 inches. So your 4.10 ring gear will be about 1/8 of an inch too far away from the pinion.

OP
OP
J

jordan8801

Thanks so much for the replies, would the carrier for 3.73 and up be the one im looking for?Again thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes that is exactly correct.
We use the generic terms three series and four series simply because more often than not people are jumping into the fours ingearing.
Even though the changeover actually happens while still in the threes

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Yes that is exactly correct.
We use the generic terms three series and four series simply because more often than not people are jumping into the fours ingearing.
Even though the changeover actually happens while still in the threes
I think we use the generic term three series and four series because the Australians down at ARB wanted to take revenge on the US. The carrier split on the Dana 44 was between 3.73-3.92 So it causes mass confusion when the same terminology is applied to the Dana 60, which has a carrier split at 4.10-4.27 and the Dana 30 which has a carrier split at 3.54-3.73.

I never remember hearing the term 3 series and 4 series before the late 1980's. (The Dana 44 2.88 ratio and the 5.38 ratio of course are neither 3's nor 4's.) Before that, the Dana Spicer power-lok cases were labeled "man" and "auto." It's only when the aftermarket started making full case lockers that the naming became interesting. Even though Dyneer / Tractech had full case Detroit No-Spin carriers, I think it was ARB with the RD-06 that started that 3-4 series nonsense. I do remember some literature that referenced "low vs high" ratio carriers, which led to the endless verbiage of "low ratio, high numerically" descriptions.

The launch of the 2003 TJ Rubicon Dana 44 with the Tru-Lock broke everything. For whatever reason, Dana paired a 3 series carrier with 41/10 = 4.10 gearset in a standard rotation housing. Confusion reigned. Couple that with the aftermarket dropping 4 series carriers in the Ford High pinion Dana 60, and the fact that the Dana 61 used Dana 60 gears with a D61 carrier, unless it was a Trac Lok, then they used D61 Gears with the D60 carrier. Nothing made sense after that.

Last edited:

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Before the TJ oddity, there was the Isuzu/Honda 4.88 geared 3-series axle. Factory use of thick gears.
I thought that the Isuzu used 4.10, 4.30 and 4.77 gears. Didn't know about the 4.88's but thanks. It appears that the Isuzu Dana 44 was used starting in 1993. That's a full 10 years ahead of the Rubicon, and great to know.

Factory use of "standard" gears. They are only thick if you say so.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad to have something useful to add to the conversation!👍🏼😁

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I thought that the Isuzu used 4.10, 4.30 and 4.77 gears. Didn't know about the 4.88's but thanks. It appears that the Isuzu Dana 44 was used starting in 1993. That's a full 10 years ahead of the Rubicon, and great to know.

Factory use of "standard" gears. They are only thick if you say so.
4.30 is what I was thinking of and had a side track thought of 4.88 and put that down instead.