• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dash color opinions. Silver? White? Body color?

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Hey folks,

Just curious what you think about dash color. I know many were body colored from the factory (like mine, a Viking red 74 Explorer). But I am thinking if I can make it better. I am using a BCB blank dash and no radio (in the duffy box) so all I will have is a nice piece of clean metal. The heater switches will be all in a row. I am also thinking looking at red (not Viking, but a different shade this time) will be a little harsh to look at all the time, and something else may be nice.

I do want it to look 'vintage' but 'clean' at the same time. I like the idea of silvers and creams. But how will this look with red doors? Decisions, decisions. Maybe someone has been down this road before?

Thanks!

Brett

OP
OP
B

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Yes I will have a lot of black. I am doing black seats and black door panels and black interior quarter panels and the inside of the hard top is painted gloss black. I will probably make the thread contrast red for a little pop and I will probably make the carpet black. Not sure about the Bailie Bilt family cage. It may end up silver or body color.

A simple black dash may be just what I need. I don't know. So confused!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I used classic 70's oem trunk paint.
Kind of looks like a spattercoat but it comes out of the gun that way.
Uber flat, which is good, no glare.
Kind of tough too. Keys have never caused that classic scratch on the dash.
Been on there for about 25 or so years. Still looks good. Lots of folks ask what it is, because they recognise it but can't remember from where. Lots of cars in the 70's had it in the trunk. I will look for some photos..,..

Update: not a very good photo. It shows some primer under the bottom edge, and not much of the dash...

Attachments

• 1008160918.jpg
    1008160918.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
B

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Ha thats what I was starting to think. Same red as the body but with the clear that flattens it. Inhave a great painter who can do it.

Germd

Mine is covered in a carbon fiber weave plasti dip. Not for everyone, but it ties in with some other CF bits (side Bronco emblem, headlight surrounds & inner door panels. YMMV.:)

Specracer

You mention wanting a vintage look, are you doing the grill insert, or tailgate lettering in Wimbledon white? If so, that might tie in.

If not, with that much black, black or gray dash (66 gray, again a vintage look) might be the best.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Body color always reminds me of those cheap paint jobs. EVERYTHING gets a coat of paint. The body, the wheel wells, the tires, the bumpers, the seats...
The (Wimbledon) white is a good traditional goes with anything thing.
Other stuff will work, but it has to match the theme of the truck. Easy to get wrong, hard to get right.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
After much ado, I'm going with American Blue for my 69 and I think I'm going with Wimbledon White for the door panels, dash and grill insert.