• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

De-greaser have you used

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Has anyone used this before? Guys at work use it clean machines. I have some nasty grease to clean up.
Thanks.
46a38639fce80331cc903c9a60782a9f.jpg
b6a9ee994ae40b7c0f6d126908b33f26.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That looks like fun! I have never used it, but most chemicals are similar. If you can get steam or super hot water for a pressure washer it will cut the cleaning time in half. I would spray it on, let it sit for 12 hours then pressure wash off, then repeat.

JSBX

Contributor
Oven cleaner works very good on that kind of problem. Wear eye protection and don't get it on your skin also don't let it get on paint. As stated above a hot high pressure washer or steam cleaner works good also.Good luck.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Korkay is good but I usually use it on interior and lighter stuff not super heavy duty what you're looking to do. Be careful with the purple crap it ate a bunch of my skin off my hands if you leave it on too long.

The best I found for the money is called LA's Totally Awesome, product it's a pale yellow and sold at the dollar store.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
The oven cleaners I've used leave marks on the paint but simple green is fantastic!

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Korkay is good but I usually use it on interior and lighter stuff not super heavy duty what you're looking to do. Be careful with the purple crap it ate a bunch of my skin off my hands if you leave it on too long.

The best I found for the money is called LA's Totally Awesome, product it's a pale yellow and sold at the dollar store.

For the OP's pic I'd steam clean it first if possible. Maybe twice. But not everyone has access to a steam cleaner.

I use Totally Awesome all the time. It's like $1.50 for a spray bottle or $3.00 for a gallon. Wife gets me a gallon every time she goes to DG.

Even takes the gray streaks off gutters and our pontoon boat. Nothing like it. I'd try spraying it on and using a wire brush or some type of brush while it's soaking to start.

OP
OP
69broncofun

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
For the OP's pic I'd steam clean it first if possible. Maybe twice. But not everyone has access to a steam cleaner.

I use Totally Awesome all the time. It's like $1.50 for a spray bottle or $3.00 for a gallon. Wife gets me a gallon every time she goes to DG.

Even takes the gray streaks off gutters and our pontoon boat. Nothing like it. I'd try spraying it on and using a wire brush or some type of brush while it's soaking to start.
Great thanks for the tip. I got the jug for free. Can't beat free

ST165

Mineral spirits and an "engine cleaning gun" from harbor freight. Best $9 tool ever. I used this on my Land Cruiser that was leaking fluid from every gasket and seal below and behind the head gasket. Just be sure to have good ventilation and no flames/heaters going. Put cardboard down to catch the drippings.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
I've used Purple Power for the tough gunk, primarily underneath. That stuff is crazy strong. Be very careful using it as it will discolor paint and aluminum/bare metal. You should also wear some kind of glasses/goggles as it's way strong, but it's pretty awesome. I use it primarily underneath the engine/tranny on projects, etc. after scrapping off the excess gunk with a putty knife.

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
For caked on grease like the picture you posted, I wire brush off the outer crust. The inner crud also gets roughened up to help hold the degreaser to do its work. I use Gunk heavy duty engine degreaser (spray), let it sit for a while, then spray it again and let it sit again. After it loosens up the crud I spray it off with my pressure washer. The pressure washer is a 1700PSI electric cheapo I bought at some big box store years ago. From my experience the Gunk engine degreaser works faster than the purple stuff or Simple Green. It also works much better than the cheap stuff from Wal Mart. The process is messy and stinky and may not be environmentally correct but, it works for me pretty well.
Mark.

OP
OP
69broncofun

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
For caked on grease like the picture you posted, I wire brush off the outer crust. The inner crud also gets roughened up to help hold the degreaser to do its work. I use Gunk heavy duty engine degreaser (spray), let it sit for a while, then spray it again and let it sit again. After it loosens up the crud I spray it off with my pressure washer. The pressure washer is a 1700PSI electric cheapo I bought at some big box store years ago. From my experience the Gunk engine degreaser works faster than the purple stuff or Simple Green. It also works much better than the cheap stuff from Wal Mart. The process is messy and stinky and may not be environmentally correct but, it works for me pretty well.
Mark.
Yeah sounds good. As soon I get it running I plan on spraying the crap out of it with De greaser and taking it to coin wash .

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I used oven cleaner and once it was getting better, I've used WD-40 to finish it up, then hose off.