• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Did you ever wonder....

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Why the center housing of a 9" is called a "3rd member"? <br><br>I have never have been able to figure out what the 1st and 2nd members are. <br><br>Any ideas?

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
They could have named it..... "GoldMember" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Well it all started back in World War II. There were thousands of soldiers away fighting, so back home the women and children were having to run factories, play baseball, and build the vehicles. The first 2 women to try to build a functional rear axle case for Ford failed, but the 3rd woman built the perfect one, thus it called the third member........I have no idea.

My personal favorite funny word is a 'stop cock'.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
[quote author=HNRYS69 link=board=5;threadid=12831;start=0#96346 date=1041462695]<br>They could have named it..... "GoldMember" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D<br>[/quote]<br>That's what you call them after the locker. 8)

67ster

Bronco Guru
Third member ? Shoot , I have heard them called Pigs, Chunks and Hogheads and a few other choice names when they go away . I think third member came from the manufacturers , they have "A" pillars "B" pillars , sail panels , headlight doors ?

jims66

Well this is what I was told a million years ago by my high school auto shop teacher. It is the third member in the drive train Engine, Transmission then Rear End. 1, 2, and 3!

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
[quote author=jims66 link=board=5;threadid=12831;start=0#96420 date=1041475585]<br>Well this is what I was told a million years ago by my high school auto shop teacher. It is the third member in the drive train Engine, Transmission then Rear End. 1, 2, and 3!<br>[/quote]So on 4 wheel drive it would be called 4th member. When I add the 203 I will call it the 5th member.

Krusher

Loc.
Brookhaven, MS
Here's my guess. It refers to power transfer, with the piston and rods being the first member, transfering power in an up and down movement. Then the crank shaft being the second member, converting the power to a linear rotating mass. And finally, the center section of the rear end being the third member, converting the rotating power to transverse power.<br><br>Not bad huh! :eek: ;D