• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Different Dana 44 axles??

awest5321

Contributor
Loc.
Exit 79 on I85
I have these two different size dana 44 axles from early broncos and was wondering if anyone could help me identify them. Maybe the larger axle is from a 76? Not sure though.

Attachments

• bronco front axles.jpg
    bronco front axles.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 79

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I don't think 76-77 axles were larger but not sure. If it uses the larger u-joint it may be a full size axle cut down. Common upgrade before moly axles were so accessible.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The early Bronco used a small U-joint, The heavier shaft can be swapped in from the chevy short side dana 44 with the larger U-joint. the heavier long side must be cut down and resplined or made from scratch. the f150 and 78-79 Big bronco short shaft can be used but the spline needs to be under cut and the spline is a little short. some were OK but some were not I bought my oversize shafts from Currie back in the day. they are much more available these days than 30 years ago. they are cheaper now new than cutting and re-splining we use to do.

OP
OP
awest5321

awest5321

Contributor
Loc.
Exit 79 on I85
They are both 30 spline Dana 44 axles from early broncos. I remember seeing this type of larger axle in a 76 model I had back many years ago. It was a stock vehicle, I knew the owner when new and bought it from him. He never worked on or upgraded the front axles. I changed from 3.50 to 4.11 gears and remember this type of larger axle. All my other broncos had the smaller shaft.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
The early Bronco used a small U-joint, The heavier shaft can be swapped in from the chevy short side dana 44 with the larger U-joint. the heavier long side must be cut down and resplined or made from scratch. the f150 and 78-79 Big bronco short shaft can be used but the spline needs to be under cut and the spline is a little short. some were OK but some were not I bought my oversize shafts from Currie back in the day. they are much more available these days than 30 years ago. they are cheaper now new than cutting and re-splining we use to do.

All early broncos were small shaft, small u-joint. The larger one came from a big bronco or f-150 as rusty truck mentioned.

I had one cut and re-splined and I cut the other side myself.