• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do I need a special puller to remove t-case yoke?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I need to swap front yokes on my t-case. Once I remove the nut and washer, do the yokes generally slide right off, or will I need a special tool to pull it off the output shaft?

70_Steve

Old Guy
No special tool. They might be stuck a little, but the output shafts are straight splines, and the yoke is not a interference fit. Usually a little prying and a few choice words, and it will slide right off.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
If it seems a little tight and prying/rubber mallet don't do the trick - use a small 3 or 2 prong (2 prong works a bit easier) bearing puller. Works like a charm.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Mine took quite a bit of hammering to get off. If I had been planning on reusing it I would have used a puller.

sidenote: Under the washer you've already removed from the output, is an O-ring. Reuse it or replace it. If you install a new flange without one it will leak. It's common for guys just to toss the old flange without ever noticing it.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Skuzzlebutt said:
sidenote: Under the washer you've already removed from the output, is an O-ring. Reuse it or replace it. If you install a new flange without one it will leak. It's common for guys just to toss the old flange without ever noticing it.
I didn't have much luck getting the o-ring to seal between the front output shaft and the yoke. I did get a good seal by loosing the o-ring, filling the void under the washer with RTV, then installing the washer and torquing the nut.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Yes, 1-1/8" I was told that a nice impact socket would be too thick to fit in there. So if you're running out to buy one, get an ordinary chromed 12pt.