• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do it yourself liners vs. Rhinolining?

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
Anybody do the do it yourself linings and are happy with the results? I had a friend to it to a jeep years ago and he said the stuff sucked because it was still gummy and pliable and spent ages ripping it up. I figure there is some better stuff out there these days?

Or is it worth the few hundred bucks to get Rhinolining done?

tobinj

Loc.
Martinsburg, WV
Well in my personal opinion you can't go wrong with a professional job and all the major spray in liners come with a warranty as well, however I am a little biased since I make a partial living doing them. On another note I have seen many DIY liners on this forum and I must say I am impressed with their work. I saw a post awhile back that Rhino looked like big rubber boogers and I must agree so i wouldn't go with them.

Just my .02

armor4u

I Been Thinking About Doing The Inside Of My Truck Bed,im Sure There's New Products Out Now Days That Work Great,i Been Looking At Durabak ,take A Look At Their Web Site Durabakcompany.com If I Decide To Do It I'll Let You Know How It Went.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had both, and recommend getting a Rhino Liner or Linex job if you can spare the cash. I used the Herculiner and did not like it at all. Then again, I have seen some members on here with DIY jobs that looked just as good as the prof. jobs too.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
IMHO the Linex and Rhino are better....Linex will show more detail of the floor, which I like. Rhino seems to hide more, like a blanket, still a great product and worth the warranty and the outcome...either one.

Do many of you guys do the bed rails or stop before?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I am working toward getting mine sprayed and plan on using a local company for 350-400 bucks, product called Reflex. It is supposed to have automotive paint in it so it won't fade nearly as fast and supposedly they can match almost any color? Anyway, I have it in my truck bed and it looks great but is also very thick like Rhino liner.

Ben

mike732

Loc.
Camden, Tennessee
I did my own thined it with acetone and sprayed it through an old cup gun with a big nozzle and it looks as good as professional and was about 60.00 to do my self...

yANK

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Saint Cloud
i sprayed durabak a few years ago and still looks good i have done a few broncos with it and love it you have to clean and prep surface real good . I spray with a gator gun you can buy at paint store for 25 bucks and use it over and over again you mix it with ziline from home depot.

mhandy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Windsor,ny
I used the Durabak on the bed of my pickup 2yrs and 100,000 miles ago and other than some fading it has served me well

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I have sprayed my bronco & just about 2 months ago did a CJ5 with Herculiner. My bronco is 7 years old and the only wear in it is on my heel under the gas pedal. The Jeep I did looks a TON better than my bronco because I sprayed it thicker and didn't thin it out as much. The only problem with the DIY liners is that some of them don't have UV protection and will fade a lot quicker than pro jobs. I personally don't see any harm in spending the $100 on a gallon of Durabak or Herc. & an extra $20 on a liner gun (if you have a compressor that will do it) and just do it yourself. You can put as much or as little as you want on. Rolling it makes it a lot rougher surface than spraying it does too.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
I've got herculiner and durabak in my Bronco and line-x in my truck -
my advise would be:
If you are going to be working on it more and may modify the body, go with the herculiner or durabak as they are easy to repair and don't cost as much.
If you will not be messing with the body, spend the extra $$ and get line-x, speedliner or the like; the results are worth it. I wouldn't go with rhino liner as I have seen it peel on too many rigs (including ones that were meticulously prepped), it also seems to be the easiest to ignite and hardest to get out once ignited, personally don't like the feel of it.

With any of the liners, prep is extremely important.

jkskier

Loc.
Western Washington
BoltBuster - I originally had mine sprayed professionally and did not include the door jams or the bed rails. I was told that if I sprayed the bed rails as well that there would be sealing issues with the hard top. Not true.

When I'm out wheeling I like to climb around my rig like it's a jungle gym. That protection was quite necessary and I did not lose any noticeable seal with the hard top. I would do it again for sure.

I've also used Herculiner in a CJ7, rolled it. It was decent, but if you care about cosmetics at all I would have a pro job done. It also peeled, and I spent a fair amount of time in prep, and had to walk around college for a week with black hands and forearms.

tobinj

Loc.
Martinsburg, WV
armor4u said:
What Does It Take To Prep A Vehicle For Durabak?

Prep should be sand with a 100 grit or so, you want a scuffed surface but you don't want bare metal. If you have bare metal then I would spray over that with a self etching primer and then scuff it. Once you are done sanding blow it out and then use some type of solvent to wipe down, I prefer Denatured Alcohol since it dries very fast. Of course you want to mask everywhere you don't want the stuff if your spraying it. Also the less humidity the better, apply it around room tempature or so.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BoltBuster said:
IMHO the Linex and Rhino are better....Linex will show more detail of the floor, which I like. Rhino seems to hide more, like a blanket, still a great product and worth the warranty and the outcome...either one.

Do many of you guys do the bed rails or stop before?

I used Rhino Liner and did go over my bed rails. I have not had any problem with the hard top alignment or leaking - just use a good rubber at the top of the windshield frame. That's one reason I did it over the rails to protect the Bronco when taking the top on and off.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I had Line x do my inside and it looks good. When my tub was on the roto I did the underside with a SEM product. The inside cost me $500.00 and the underside cost $360.00 for the product. I would of line x the underside but the local line x guy refused to do it. I have seen rhino put down and IMO its not the best, but it works.

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
all the major spray in liners come with a warranty as well
Mine was LineEx'd by the P.O. and I spoke with the local sprayer(different town than the P.O.) my guy said that the liner is only under wty when applied in a truck bed. i.e. if it is in a Bronco, heep, etc...then there is no wty. Just what my guy said, others could be different/but they could be the same, it's worth checking out.

Rob

tobinj

Loc.
Martinsburg, WV
Kaw-Liga said:
Mine was LineEx'd by the P.O. and I spoke with the local sprayer(different town than the P.O.) my guy said that the liner is only under wty when applied in a truck bed. i.e. if it is in a Bronco, heep, etc...then there is no wty. Just what my guy said, others could be different/but they could be the same, it's worth checking out.

Rob

I can't speak for other dealers but with mine (Vortex) I offer lifetime warranty (lifting, cracking, peeling) on any vehicle I do no matter where I put it, the reason they probaly don't want to warranty a heep or an EB tub is because they don't wanna do the extra prep and charge the extra money. I tell the customers if they want the warranty then this is how I will have to do it. They all advertise a lifetime so they should back it no matter what they put it on as far as I'm concerned. I also allow the warranty to follow the vehicle not the owner. Line-X and Rhino are Franchises so they have fees to pay every month so their ultimate goal is bottom dollar, it would suck to pay that much money and not have a warranty on the supposed best liners in the industry.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Kaw-Liga said:

Rob

Rob. my line x dealer said the same thing. waranty only on the truck beds. We had a conversation about the bronco being a truck. It has a bed just like other trucks. He said if anything happend to the BED he would take care of it.

Bax

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Just a FYI on spray on your self stuff...
I didn't like the rough finish of Hurculiner so I tried another from my local auto paint supply store. Back then (10 yrs back) it was called Dura Bed or something like that. Its a spray on (using $20 splatter gun) with a hardener additive which gives it a strong smooth texture. The bed came out great so I wanted to do the cab. I got more supplies but the hardener seemed low. It was several months back when I did the bed so I didn't question it too long. I went ahead, mixed it up and applied. It didn't dry everywhere :eek: . What a mess, I was cleaning with tons of chemicals and had to use a hammer, chisel and sandpaper to get it all clean. Of course I went down and told them of the situation and they gave me a few free cans. I'm sure my black hands and outfit made them feel bad. Rubber gloves were useless as this stuff is super sticky; they just tear apart once coated. Needless to say the second coat worked great and its still in great shape 10 yrs later. A few rub spots but if I was to do it again I would use Line-X and not deal with the hassle.

Last edited: