• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Double front shock upgrade?

WARDOG

Loc.
Graniteville, CA
For those that have upgraded your EB's to the double front shock, have you experienced a difference in ride quality to make the upgrade worth the $ ?
I do a lot of driving on heavily washboarded gravel roads 20-25 mph, and slow off-roading on typically washed out roads.

Do you valve each of the pairs differently, or the same?

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
For those that have upgraded your EB's to the double front shock, have you experienced a difference in ride quality to make the upgrade worth the $ ?
I do a lot of driving on heavily washboarded gravel roads 20-25 mph, and slow off-roading on typically washed out roads.

I valve mine the same, technically, from what I've read, the dbl shock is tailor made for washboard gravel roads, where a single is more desirable for rock crawling. I like the ride quality of my dbl shocks, not to harsh, yet keeps Blue from leaning in corners to badly (2.5" lift). Going down the paved roads it is pretty soft all things considered, which springs are you running, that plays a part in this equation as well.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru

You may be one of the few folks that probably should run duals.
Washboard is tough on your rig so duals can be great at controlling it.
Having said that single"high quality" shocks on some F-250 mounts could probably achieve the same results.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I can literally run 40-60+ down wash board roads AND rutted washes with a single Bilstein 7100 Resovoir shock. I typically run 15 PSI in my tires and have single rate 3" lift front coils and WH 3.5" rear leafs.

Do a little research before you decide to use 30-40 year old technology on your rig!

OP
OP
WARDOG

WARDOG

Loc.
Graniteville, CA
I can literally run 40-60+ down wash board roads AND rutted washes with a single Bilstein 7100 Resovoir shock. I typically run 15 PSI in my tires and have single rate 3" lift front coils and WH 3.5" rear leafs.

Do a little research before you decide to use 30-40 year old technology on your rig!

Actually I have been looking at the Bilstein remotes.
What length's are you running?
My cousin is running a pair of 'em up front on a fully built '05 GMC Sierra. He gets great results on the dunes and washboard. I asked him about the duals since they were remote reservoirs. He said it was probably overkill for the technology, but his truck is also a 3/4 ton.
I would be looking at installing a hoop just to get more travel anyway. I have 2.5" suspension lift + 3" body, with 35's.

OP
OP
WARDOG

WARDOG

Loc.
Graniteville, CA
I run 12" front and 10" rear. I have the 'Superduty' front shock towers on the front and built my own mounts for the rear.

I searched 'Superduty shock towers' and got too many results.
Can you share a part # ?
Did you have to torch off the old and weld on the 'Superduty's ?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I think what Wild Horses calls long travel shock mounts are from Super Duty pickups. They have the Ford oval stamped on them. They can be difficult to fit under the left wheel well on '76,'77s.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. Yes, that's correct.
This is what they were talking about: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Long_travel_shock_towers

They can be bolted or welded, but should be welded. You can cut off the old shock mounts completely, or, just cut off the main "proud" parts and leave the back plates still welded to the frame.
This last just give the frame material more meat and something substantial to weld to.

Have you had that trouble on the later models jckkys? I was just wondering, because know that the large hoops have their difficulties with them, but I was not aware that the long-travel mounts had the same issue.
If it does, a 1" body lift would at least alleviate some of that.

Thanks

Paul

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
X2 on Bilstein single, long travel shocks in the front. Be aware that there are several valving options and you want the right shocks for the weight of the front of your rig and how it will be drove. Remote reservoir is to keep the damper fluid in the shock cool over prolonged periods of heavy damping. Remote reservoirs are not needed for highway use or slow speed wheeling.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Countless modern Bronco suspensioin conversions involve removing the dual shocks and going back to quality singles.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I run the F-250 mounts with extra long RS 9000's.
The adjustability is sort of neat/corny but......has it's merits.
My travel is "dramatically" improved. The stock mounts/shocks are very limiting.

I probably would have gone with the Bilsteins you're considering if I had it to do
all over again but the one thing I would not do again is run duals up front.

Dual shocks "are" perfect for some folks but not for me.

As I age I tend to "want it all", I want a nice ride on the street
and control in the rough stuff.
Single, modern, high quality shocks up front will get you that.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Remote reservoir is to keep the damper fluid in the shock cool over prolonged periods of heavy damping.

True. See below though.

Remote reservoirs are not needed for highway use or slow speed wheeling.

Partially. But the other main reason for remote reservoirs is not just for additional fluid handling (the better to keep it cool) but to allow for longer piston travel within the same body volume.
When the shock compresses, the shaft is actually taking up space that could otherwise be occupied by the fluid. With a remote reservoir, the fluid has a place to go.

So longer travel in the same package is a result. Which is in fact good for some slow-speed wheeling.
You're right that needing them "all depends" but there are some broad definitions in need.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Duff's shocks are valved to run as duals. I don't know of any others that are.

There are specific Rancho shock part numbers designed with lighter valving for use as duals.

I've been wanting to experiment with the different ones to see if there is a happy medium, but it can get expensive.
Not to mention I can't drive my Bronco yet either!

Paul

JIMS74

Loc.
PORTSMOUTH, VA.
I am using dual 7100 with resevoirs,175/60 valving in front, and dual 7100 non resevoir, 150/50 valving on the rear. I made my choice of shocks when i found the front four on e-bay for 300 bucks used.

Attachments

• 465.jpg
    465.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 448.jpg
    448.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 261.jpg
    261.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 445.jpg
    445.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
WARDOG

WARDOG

Loc.
Graniteville, CA
I am using dual 7100 with resevoirs,175/60 valving in front, and dual 7100 non resevoir, 150/50 valving on the rear. I made my choice of shocks when i found the front four on e-bay for 300 bucks used.

I would ask how you like them but it looks like you haven't put any miles on them yet. It's going to be a shame to get all of that purdy undercarriage dirty.

What hoop do you have, and what length travel on the fronts?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
As to the '76-'77 left wheel well; my measurements of the "Super Duty" shock mounts, indicate they won't fit. At least not without a body lift. The '73-'75 left wheel well is only available from NPD. I'm going to need one to keep the original power steering column and no more than 1/2" body lift. Hopefully Tom's booster bracket will work with these wheel wells.
I've called several shock makers and none recommend double shocks. They tell me quality shocks can do a better job than the shocks made 40 yrs. ago that created the need for dual shocks.